lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
dougrobling
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 72V AC Drive Precedent Progress

I think everything is ready now. (Just waiting on the battery arrive) They sent me a picture of it before it was loaded on the boat, and it should be here in three or four weeks now....

Motor, controller and all wiring is complete. Battery mounting bracket built and in place. New body, lights, and disc brakes are installed. It ran really well with the old 48V lead-acid batteries, so I can't wait to try it with the new set-up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0789.jpg (119.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0788.jpg (105.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Battery.png (252.8 KB, 0 views)
dougrobling is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: 72V AC Drive Precedent Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrobling View Post
I think everything is ready now. (Just waiting on the battery arrive) They sent me a picture of it before it was loaded on the boat, and it should be here in three or four weeks now....

Motor, controller and all wiring is complete. Battery mounting bracket built and in place. New body, lights, and disc brakes are installed. It ran really well with the old 48V lead-acid batteries, so I can't wait to try it with the new set-up.
What battery is that you are using, and do you have a link to specs / cost etc?

72v is the way to go I think with the Navitas AC setup - should (as I understand it) produce the most efficiency in terms of miles / wh used, esp. at higher speeds.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
dougrobling
Getting Wild
Club Car

Here is the spec on the battery. It is 72V, 120aH, and includes a voltage reducer for my 12V needs. The price was about $1,800 plus about $400 to ship it here.
I think I “over-speced” it with the 200A battery management system, as I don’t believe current draws will be nearly that high on a consistent basis (especially at 72V). I will data log the current draws when it’s in and installed. You would probably be fine saving some money by reducing the BMS or maybe even the aH, but I just didn’t want to spend a bunch of money and come up short, so I tried to error on the high side...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9DCA078D-8F52-40B4-AE44-F6D2EEB08881.jpg (99.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-16-2020, 11:06 PM   #4
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Here is the spec on the battery. It is 72V, 120aH, and includes a voltage reducer for my 12V needs. The price was about $1,800 plus about $400 to ship it here.
I think I “over-speced” it with the 200A battery management system, as I don’t believe current draws will be nearly that high on a consistent basis (especially at 72V). I will data log the current draws when it’s in and installed. You would probably be fine saving some money by reducing the BMS or maybe even the aH, but I just didn’t want to spend a bunch of money and come up short, so I tried to error on the high side...
That sounds like a good price for that AH and voltage. Will be interested to see the product when you get it and learn about performance etc...

Please keep us posted.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
dougrobling
Getting Wild
Club Car

The battery is here and installed. Everything is back together, but is raining big time so I can’t check out the performance......🙁
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!

It looks good. Very solid, and was exactly the size requested so it fit my pre-welded frame exactly. Plenty of room on one end for the controller and the other end for the charger and an extension cord. I bought a 115vac plug for an RV and installed it where the old charger connected for easy charging from any outlet.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:27 PM   #6
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Quote:
The battery is here and installed. Everything is back together, but is raining big time so I can’t check out the performance......🙁
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!

It looks good. Very solid, and was exactly the size requested so it fit my pre-welded frame exactly. Plenty of room on one end for the controller and the other end for the charger and an extension cord. I bought a 115vac plug for an RV and installed it where the old charger connected for easy charging from any outlet.
Please post some vids, that looks like it should be pretty fun with that battery.
Nolagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #7
dougrobling
Getting Wild
Club Car

So I set the max speed at 40 and took it for a spin. Wow, it gets to 40 right away and even maintains it going up slight inclines. It only slowed down to 34 on the steep inclines. Don’t know about range yet, but I drove it about 6 miles and it has only dropped .2V of charge.

I’m debating setting the limit higher temporarily just to see what it would do, but the windshield is bowing in quite a bit at 40....
Old 02-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
fstop
Gone Wild

Posted some ?s in your other thread - not sure which one you are going to continue your details in so I'll monitor both.

Very interested in your results and any little details you can provide.

I wen't with a RoyPow battery but knew a 72v solution would be better, but wasn't quite ready to do the China thing. So very curious about your experience not only with the performance and charging, voltage sag under acceleration, etc... but also the buying (and waiting) experience and what type of comfort level you have / had with the seller.

What charger are you using? - Dump some details man!
Old 02-14-2020, 07:51 PM   #9
dougrobling
Getting Wild
Club Car

I am attaching shots captured in a romp through the neighborhood this afternoon.
Don’t have many straights and a lot of up and down so you will see it swing back and forth to 40mph and 200A draw...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5E5D48E9-B9D7-43AD-9BA9-986F0C3BAB3A.jpg (76.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1F837F81-F067-4687-8BFC-5CC6193B4E00.jpg (92.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-14-2020, 08:35 PM   #10
dougrobling
Getting Wild
Club Car

I forgot to attach the battery voltage screen grab that goes with the two above...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1454709A-6043-4CBC-A843-4BDBD47F8757.jpg (57.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car