lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2019, 05:34 AM   #21
Gregt909
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New 2020 Club Car Onward HP Li-Ion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDLWINGNUT01 View Post
I hope this helps those interested or wondering how far the new 2020 Onward
Li-Ion Club Car can travel. Because I wondered and was told before my purchase that it "should travel" approx 19 miles, I did my own test. My Car is programmed set at Sport Mode and a low #1 brake regen. This was my findings:

Using my Nike Run app, I started with a full charge and only myself as a rider (I weigh 165 lbs) and at 2.25 miles at a relative even elevation at full to half throttle, my battery indicator showed a 90% charge. On my second test, it again dropped another 10% to 80% charge at another 2.35 miles. If my math is right, I could potentially go approx 20.5 miles until I reach a 90% discharged battery or almost 23 miles to empty !

I'm sure weight, terrain and any add-ons affecting aerodynamics could affect the range.
I would agree with this. I regularly drive mine to the local dog park that is 6 miles away per my top speed app on my phone. I always show 50-60% left on my battery after the 12 miles round trip. The terrain is quite hilly as well.
Gregt909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #22
MrGrmpy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Great thread, nice cart. I ordered a Limited Edition with the Lithium Ion. I test drive both the 48V & Ion.. really liked the Ion.
MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #23
NewinPTC
Not Yet Wild

I’ve had the same cart for a couple of weeks. My wife has complained about the battery going down rather quickly. This is our first golf cart (love it) so I thought maybe her hopes may have been too high. The other night I went to my garage in the pitch black and noticed the bottom line of leds were slightly glowing. So I charged to 100% and went to bed with charger disconnected. Sure enough it was at 80% in the morning. The dealer said he had never seen this before.
Seeing as this is the first model year run on this model, I was wondering if any of you had noticed anything similar.
Thanks for your input.
NewinPTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #24
DDLWINGNUT01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

@NewinPTC I have not experienced this in my car. The DTRL's should only come on in with the key in the "on" position and the Light Pull stem in the "in or push" position. Seems to me that this could have been wired incorrectly during wiring assembly or a wire is being "pinched" somewhere in the wiring of the DTRL's . This def seems to be the reason your battery is being parasitically drawn down.
DDLWINGNUT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:39 PM   #25
NewinPTC
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDLWINGNUT01 View Post
@NewinPTC I have not experienced this in my car. The DTRL's should only come on in with the key in the "on" position and the Light Pull stem in the "in or push" position. Seems to me that this could have been wired incorrectly during wiring assembly or a wire is being "pinched" somewhere in the wiring of the DTRL's . This def seems to be the reason your battery is being parasitically drawn down.
Thanks for the reply. The manufacturer has been slow to respond. Sorry I hijacked this post. Other than this problem, I love this cart. It is a blast to cruise around in.
NewinPTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #26
fstop
Gone Wild

Great info - thanks to owners for posting impressions, range, speeds etc...

I'm on the fence between LiOn or standard batteries for this same Onward 4 passenger.

Only thing keeping me from being more interested in the LiOn is the unknown of speeding it up. Stands to reason that either re-programming (if possible - like the RXVs) the controller or replacing it with an aftermarket one (which doesn't exist - yet at least - as far as I know) would allow those who want to be in the mid to upper 20s to do that.

My 20 year old (owned since new) TXT does 27, and has forever - not sure I could get used to 20 on longer rides.

Nobody has mentioned in this thread I don't think, but the LiOn Onward uses as AC drive motor - so it isn't just the battery that's different from the flooded battery version.

Flooded battery version - from what I gather - is easily sped up with controller and / or motor replacements, but it is apparently a complete question mark as to what is possible with this new AC drive / LiOn system of Club Car's.

If I had to wager, I'd say Club Car will put this AC drive system in the flooded battery version of this cart next year - or the next maybe, as they are the only mfg. w/out an AC drive cart for personal use that I'm aware of (if you don't count this LiOn model).

I thought I read somewhere that Navitas was preparing a controller for the LiOn Onward, but can't seem to find where I read that now.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #27
alangsam
Getting Wild

navitas is working on an AC controller upgrade but not sure when. The world is moving to Lithium and AC however the transition is bumpy and expensive.
now another option is that navitas makes a controller and ac motor package for about $1800 that you can use with SLA or lithium. This is highly customizable.
alangsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #28
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by alangsam View Post
navitas is working on an AC controller upgrade but not sure when. The world is moving to Lithium and AC however the transition is bumpy and expensive.
now another option is that navitas makes a controller and ac motor package for about $1800 that you can use with SLA or lithium. This is highly customizable.
Yes - I've seen that system as well and it looks promising, but no reviews or feedback from owners as to how well it performs, problems, etc...

Do you have a link to discussion of a possible Navitas controller for the LiOn Onward?

My concern with the stock Onward LiOn is that the BMS, controller and motor may all be carefully nested as a system and hard to replace one element of it and trying to retain the others, or hack into or program around limitations if they don't want you to.

I could easily see why they wouldn't want cart owners pulling significantly more current from these expensive LiOn packs (that they are warrantying for 6 years) than when they left the factory. Even if it turns out to be fairly simple to replace one component (say the controller) and still use the stock Club Car BMS and AC motor, there could be other issues (like the BMS shutting down when too much current is drawn by an aftermarket controller...)

I have no clue, but surely somebody has torn into one of these things?
Old 11-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #29
Gregt909
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
Yes - I've seen that system as well and it looks promising, but no reviews or feedback from owners as to how well it performs, problems, etc...

Do you have a link to discussion of a possible Navitas controller for the LiOn Onward?

My concern with the stock Onward LiOn is that the BMS, controller and motor may all be carefully nested as a system and hard to replace one element of it and trying to retain the others, or hack into or program around limitations if they don't want you to.

I could easily see why they wouldn't want cart owners pulling significantly more current from these expensive LiOn packs (that they are warrantying for 6 years) than when they left the factory. Even if it turns out to be fairly simple to replace one component (say the controller) and still use the stock Club Car BMS and AC motor, there could be other issues (like the BMS shutting down when too much current is drawn by an aftermarket controller...)

I have no clue, but surely somebody has torn into one of these things?
I did a fair amount of research prior to buying my LiOn but it seems it’s too new for the folks in the after market to figure out yet. Having said that it’s very obvious to me that if the existing software could be manipulated this cart would be capable of speeds in the upper 20’s at a minimum. You can feel and hear the power when you accelerate then it simply goes flat once you hit 20. Then when reach a steep hill you feel and hear the power again while it maintains that 20 mph.
Gregt909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #30
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregt909 View Post
I did a fair amount of research prior to buying my LiOn but it seems it’s too new for the folks in the after market to figure out yet. Having said that it’s very obvious to me that if the existing software could be manipulated this cart would be capable of speeds in the upper 20’s at a minimum. You can feel and hear the power when you accelerate then it simply goes flat once you hit 20. Then when reach a steep hill you feel and hear the power again while it maintains that 20 mph.
Yes - I hear 'ya.

While I haven't driven the LiOn Onward (only the same FLA model, which is DC), I've driven a number of RXVs, and the AC power system is like that. It has great accel, esp in the midrange it seems to me, then just stops when it hits whatever programming / rpm limit is set somewhere. Kind of takes some getting used to (at least in the RXV) as it kind of slows / goes, slows /goes as you go wide open and the road incline changes slightly, or it gets windier etc... as the cart maintains a certain speed.

But yes, if it's anything like an RXV, it has a lot of potential - the question is do they have it purposely locked down.

I think I'd pull the trigger on the LiOn version if I knew within 6 months or so I could get into the mid to high 20s with a $0-500 mod. cost (or just programming, like you can do on the RXV).

Even though there seem to be solid options right now for getting that kind of speed - and then some - on the FLA version of the Onward, I'm not sure I want to plunk down for a brand new cart that likely will have an obsolete (not bad, just not the "latest" and current system) when they go with that AC system for all their Onward carts, not just the LiOn version.

Tags
2020 cc onward li-ion
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car