lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default lithium in cool temps.

Is anyone here running a lithium setup [shop made or drop in batts] in northern climes? As my Crown 190s are done [28 months] I have been looking at different options but the drop in lithiums won't charge at winter temps [besides their low amp rating] and am wondering if anyone who has built their own [or bought a custom pack] has resolved this issue. Thanks.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2021, 07:51 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: lithium in cool temps.

All lithium that I know of will have to be charged at above freezing temps. All batteries - including Lithium will suffer loss of capacity and performance at low temps. Electric cars have battery heaters to allow them to operate at low temps.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the reply!!! Appears the new technology here hasn't beaten old school methods yet. So I guess I'll have to help the local economy in Ohio again.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:00 AM   #4
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Looking at lithium packs yesterday I saw a 48v 100ah pack with a built in heater/warmer. I don't remember the name of the site but it was priced at $2675. Too rich for me.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Not a problem here in Arizona.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I use my cart for hunting here in SW Pa. I hunt in 80 degrees for G-hogs and in 15 degrees for deer.

Cold weather cut my old LA pack to half the run time, and those cold temps cut my Lithium pack to about the same.

I've considered installing a small 12V heater that would run off my separate Marine battery....but I'm not pushing the run times to the outer limits when it's 15 degrees.

So, I still have an ample power supply.

Just a few comments that may.....or may not help you out.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

As long as you can warm it up above freezing for charging, there is no problem running in cold weather other than loss of performance. FLA batteries lose as much performance in cold as Lithium do.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:17 PM   #8
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

My day starts at 6 am and ends at 11pm or so. Now, I would have to drive my sometimes snow and salt covered buggy into the [warm] shop and wait for the batteries to warm up to 32 degrees before charging. Even if I set up a timer to delay charging until later in the night, the mess in the shop, corrosion issues, and possible subsequent freeze ups in the morning, sounds like a RPIA.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:22 PM   #9
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I use my cart for hunting here in SW Pa. I hunt in 80 degrees for G-hogs and in 15 degrees for deer.

Cold weather cut my old LA pack to half the run time, and those cold temps cut my Lithium pack to about the same.

I've considered installing a small 12V heater that would run off my separate Marine battery....but I'm not pushing the run times to the outer limits when it's 15 degrees.

So, I still have an ample power supply.

Just a few comments that may.....or may not help you out.
A winter heater has come to mind. Then, how much power would be required to keep a pack warm for 16 hours or so? Thinking an insulated "battery box" would be needed, but one would have to be able to remove it completely for summer no?
Old 03-24-2021, 12:55 PM   #10
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I live in Canada and operate my cart in horribly cold weather. If you are going to make the investment the best cell type is a LTO (Lithium Titanite Battery). I think LTO are good to about -30C but, check the spec sheets on them. They are also very expensive and larger than most cells. I have seen LTO 100AH EV batteries in the past. Canadian EV guys use them to avoid having to do crazy stuff so they can charge them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-titanate_battery

I did the math once. It really isn't worth the cost or effort to make a heated lithium pack to operate below -5C properly. The prismatic cells and the necessary components to insulate them properly... there just isn't enough room on a standard golf cart. Maybe a limo cart.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium