lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2021, 03:55 PM   #1
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default CVTech noise or....?

I’m getting a fairly loud whining noise from the vicinity of my driven clutch, which is a new from Vegas Carts CVTech High Performance wide belt clutch. I pulled the SG belt and ran it without it to see if I could isolate it. That made no difference. There’s virtually no noise at low rpms, it only starts to really get noisy at the upper end of the rpm scale. Has anyone else had an experience like this with one of these new clutches? I’ve double checked both the transfer case and the differential for proper gear oil level, so lube isn’t the issue. It actually sounds a little like the rubber from the belt squeaking on the sheaves. Could it possibly be a drive belt tension issue? The drive belt is a little looser that it was with the OEM motor in it, but it shifts up and down with throttle to spare on the high end.
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
dbrick
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: CVTech noise or....?

If it's belt noise, pouring a little water on the belt while it's running will change the noise. Won't fix it or hurt it, just changes a variable to isolate the problem.
dbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:26 PM   #3
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks d. Easy test. I’ll post results.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:36 PM   #4
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
If it's belt noise, pouring a little water on the belt while it's running will change the noise. Won't fix it or hurt it, just changes a variable to isolate the problem.
Well, I tried the water trick, no change in the noise. There’s virtually none at low speed/rpms, but it starts to be audible around mid throttle and is quite loud at top speed/rpms. I’m wondering if the internal governor components might be responsible for it? I have all the external levers and cables removed so its just spinning away inside the crank case.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:09 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you think it might be the clutch, run the engine without the clutch on. It's a PIA but that's how you'll eliminate it. If it's the governor it'll still be there.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:02 PM   #6
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
If you think it might be the clutch, run the engine without the clutch on. It's a PIA but that's how you'll eliminate it. If it's the governor it'll still be there.
I don’t believe it’s the primary, it sounds like it’s coming from farther back, like the secondary or the transmission or rear end. Maybe the crank case. It’s hard to tell, but it doesn’t seem like it’s emanating from the primary.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I've had that with some belts/clutches where the lugs inside the belt will hit when the clutches are fully shifted out. Its the cogs in the belt making the noise but only when the clutch was fully shifted and belt drops down low in secondary. My lifted cart does it slightly, its fully shifted with 22 tires around 27mph wot and less at part throttle but the sound is louder with more power. I once had a G1 that would do it pretty loud at high speeds, but they get a lot of rpm too. Ah well my cart goes way over 5K now but I don't go that fast. However it could be gear noise which is usually very bad. Had a CC that leaked out the lube and went bad, bearing went out and typically the top ones get dry first. It trashed the gears. Was able to put new bearings in and a HS gear set replaced the upper gears. It turned out great but HS gears alone were 300, the bearing in that were standard and not that much. Had to press some of them in/on. One thing you can try is using a listening device, but sound likes to travel down shafts not sure if you could locate it with a wood stick or a stethoscope etc.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps