lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #1
803brianb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 420 carburetor suggestions

I did a 420 swap in my g16 and it turned out great but the factory carb keeps cutting back and acting weird so I want to replace it but not sure which one to buy while not spending a fortune...any advice would be greatly appreciated..i should ad it has a 6inch lift with 14x23 wheels and tires..thanks brian
803brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2021, 07:04 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 420 carburetor suggestions

Since you mentioned you have a 6 inch lift, does the engine sit level to the ground?

New or used engine? Has it always run this way or did it just start?

The GX390 and it's clones were never really designed for idling and variable throttle like in a golf cart. They were mostly designed for easy starting and running at a goverened rpm level constantly (say 3600 rpm) like in a pressurewasher, generator, or lawn tractor.

As far as carbs go, there are many aftermarket companies that sell carbs for these engines (although not sponsors of BGW) that you could try, some are "adjustable". Vegas Carts (sponsor) used to sell a 24mm adjustable carb, you could try them first.

If you want the ultimate in performance, reliability, and adjustability, you could go with a Mikuni VM22. Again, there are some companies that offer the parts to convert over.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
803brianb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yes the engine sits level to the ground and the motor is brand new out of the box..yes it has always run this way...i will look at the 2 you suggested thanks,brian
Old 02-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

At what rpm is the issue happening? If you don't have a tach, you might consider getting one. These clone engines are designed to run at a max of 4000 rpm or so, and the carbs are tuned for that. Going above 4k will lean out the fuel mix and make it pop and such. Some carbs can be adjusted to help with that. Also running above 4k can damage the engine.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:37 AM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

A very easy and not too expensive better carb is the Honda carb DJ -3225 from ARC racing. It has an adjustable idle circuit with a limiter cap that can be modified simply. For more tuneability an adjustable main jet can be added. The nice part this unit bolts right in without manifold or linkage work needed when switching to cycle type carbs.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:15 PM   #6
803brianb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The max rpm is 3700 but the fluttering and cutting back is coming in between 2500-3000 randomly without any constant circumstances...im gonna try my buddies carb and see what happens...thanks Ray I will take a look at that carb
Old 03-05-2021, 03:35 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Are you using the stock air filter setup?
Old 07-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #8
803brianb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Sorry for the delay..no I'm using the small one that clamps on the carb..I bought another carb swapped it out and my issues cleared up..thanks slonomo
Old 07-19-2021, 05:55 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Glad you got it sorted out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps