lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Quiet clone mufflers

Ok clone warriors, I’m getting really close to completing this project. The final large piece of the puzzle is the exhaust. I have one of VC’s headers on the top end, but the back end is still a question mark. I want it pretty quiet. I have my original Carryall muffler, but I’ve read a bunch about the Walker 22229. Wondering what people have used and how they liked them?
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Quiet clone mufflers

Thermoking muffler

https://www.ruralking.com/thermo-king-tripac-muffler-3

Thermoking is a brand of APU for semi trucks, they run at night powering a/c and heat for the trucks, so they are designed to be quiet.

Remember, nothing will make that clone as quiet as stock. Since sound is a subjective thing, it's a trial and error process. You have to try a setup and see if you like the sound. Try and try again until you get it where "you" want it.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You can read tons of what others have posted on my "clone exhaust " thread. Several members liked the walker #22229 unit and VC recommends the walker #18192.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:42 PM   #4
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

I read it your muffler thread Ray. There was a lot of info in there. 58 pages worth.🤯
Still, it’s helpful to see what others have tried and changed. I have a yamaha golf cart muffler that I’m going to try and see how effective it is. I also still have my original CC muffler from the KF82 that I could try with some flexhaust after I cut the flange off of it. Then there’s the Walker 22229 or the Thermoking unit that Slo suggested. It’s the final big piece of the puzzle. I hope I don’t have to try them all, that’s a lot of cutting and welding.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
I read it your muffler thread Ray. There was a lot of info in there. 58 pages worth.🤯
Still, it’s helpful to see what others have tried and changed. I have a yamaha golf cart muffler that I’m going to try and see how effective it is. I also still have my original CC muffler from the KF82 that I could try with some flexhaust after I cut the flange off of it. Then there’s the Walker 22229 or the Thermoking unit that Slo suggested. It’s the final big piece of the puzzle. I hope I don’t have to try them all, that’s a lot of cutting and welding.
Regarding stock Yamaha muffler.....look at the inlet and outlet of that muffler. Sure it's going to be quiet, probably the quietest of the bunch. But it will be suffocating that engine to death with backpressure that will kill your power.

The rule of thumb with exhausts: the smaller the pipe, the more backpressure, the lower the peak power. The larger the pipe, the less backpressure, the peak power will be higher. There is a point where zero backpressure occurs, and this can sometimes hurt your engines performance depending upon the engine type etc. Power curves also change with small exhaust changes. So no single setup will work best in all engines.

What you are doing is the right thing. You are trying different setups to determine for yourself what will work best. Sound and seat of the pants performance feel are all subjective. You can talk to 100 people, they will all have different review opinions on their setup and some will try and convince you to read their threads and do what they did.

Don't take our word for it. Use your intelligence, research, and have fun with it, make your own decision. Following....
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:15 AM   #6
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

That’s exactly what I’m doing Slo, polling the pool of experience, which I’m trusting to point me in the right direction, and then filtering that through my own preferences to come out with a workable solution, understanding that I may not get it exactly right in the first go ‘round. But like the old saying goes, getting there is half the fun.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Whatever you do make sure it is well supported. The big clones do vibrate and the exhaust system is an item that takes a beating.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:21 PM   #8
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

That’s one of the reasons why I wanted to try my original muffler Ray. It has a decent clamp that holds the muffler and the bolts are rubber mounted. It would be the easiest to try. All I have to do is weld a flange onto the VC header and cut and weld a new flange onto the muffler pipe. The muffler is old though and not SS. I’ve already partially rebuilt it once, so I’m not super confident in its integrity.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Along those line there are plenty of youtubers that tried to use a car muffler on a stock cart and in every case the cart became much louder. It may vert well work out using the stock cart muffler will be quiet maybe with some loss of power. In the case of some stock mufflers merely increasing the outlet diameter may remedy part of the loss.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #10
Sgtbilko
Not Yet Wild

So, perhaps contrary to other folks' results, I used a truck muffler and it's NOT loud.

This is on a Honda GX390 in a club car and it is just barely louder than the factory GX390 muffler. I never had the factory engine, so can't compare to that. It's not much louder than the stock golf carts I've heard, with the exception of electric carts...lol

I'm using the Vegas Carts 390 header.

This muffler IS louder, but just a touch. It's a MUCH deeper tone, so it doesn't seem near as obnoxious to me as the higher pitch of smaller mufflers. I'm comfortable the folks in the campground won't be bothered by it.

Muffler is a standard off-the-shelf part found in any parts store or Summit for $20-$30. It's 2.5" inlet/outlet, offset both ends and oval.

In addition to the muffler, I needed one 90 degree elbow and a a couple reducers, also found on shelf at auto parts store. Other parts are just scrap I had and a buddy to weld it.

Removed the original aluminum muff clamp and used a piece of bed-rail (angle steel), drilled holes, bent a lil scrap bar steel to make mounts.

I don't have soundbites because the phone mic just makes it sound like crap. It is a very nice mellow deep tone in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210206_132211361.jpg (29.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210206_150616017.jpg (33.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210306_130827175_HDR.jpg (24.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210306_130835178_HDR.jpg (31.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210306_130906940_HDR.jpg (29.2 KB, 0 views)
Sgtbilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps