lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #1
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Predator Vs Briggs vanguard

There is a local guy selling a new 670 predator engine and was curious what’s the difference between that and a Briggs vanguard ??
nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Predator Vs Briggs vanguard

If you're comparing it to the 23hp Vanguard? They are basically the same style of engine. Vtwin, pressurized oiling with filter, similar carb, similar size, similar power. I'm not for sure but I think the Predator is a clone of a Honda vtwin, but I can't confirm since I haven't owned one. I hear the Predator runs pretty good, especially with all the aftermarket goodies on it, some are saying 40-50 hp. I suppose the 23 Vanguard with cam etc will be similar in power.

The only thing I can say about quality is this....

Vanguard = 627cc, made in Japan, been around for decades, super reliable and durable, proven in the construction and agricultural industries. Generally speaking the Vanguard has been a highly regarded powerplant.

Predator = 670cc, made in China, been around for less time but long enough to have a good track record, haven't heard any bad stories about reliability, I have never seen a the Predator engine in a piece of equipment, doesn't mean they're not out there just not as common.

If you're getting a "good deal" on it they seem to hold their own. With aftermarket support you can buy parts and even rebuild one. Risk vs Reward. For me, if I can get a good running Vanguard for $400 that's the route I would go and have gone. Lately the prices are high, more like $500-$600. At that rate a $900 new Predator sounds like a good deal. If you can get a good used Predator Vtwin for half price? Good deal.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Predator Vs Briggs vanguard

The one difference is the Predator charges 9A, which is marginal. It should be fine if you don't run a lot of accessory stuff. The vanny will be 18 or 20 iirc, the lifan 690cc 24hp v twin is 18 or 6A I think sometimes you can buy those but not many have, at home depot. HD also have the 23hp 713 duromax which is another one. The higher charging 18A lifan 420 and 24hp v twin cost more, the 23 and 24hp above are close to a grand. Still much less than a vanny new. The lifan 6A 24hp is 850 so about 100 more for the larger charging. None of that is a big deal if you use the stock generator on a cart, but a lot of v twin swaps they like a key start.

The Vanguard is known to be high quality, prices are not cheap but you can buy a lot of racing parts for it, even buy a bandolero that is pre built for racing. Sometimes you can buy equipment with one for not much more than a bare vanguard, they would sell more if the price were not so high. But others have them here now so we will see.

The lifan/predator/duromax are said to be honda copies however the new honda twin is way different the heads do not come off and you can't mod anything on it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!