lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #21
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: clone exhaust

Forgot to mention first tried shorty muffler from ironhead sportster.Much the same result.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #22
M16er
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I tried one of the Kohler type exhaust units. Compact, I even had engine running, then slid the muffler on to hear it. That was a couple weeks ago. We used it only about three to four times since we installed it. Wife was waiting while I opened a gate at night, she said it was smoking like blue smoke. Sure enough, blue smoke.

I called Geoff at Vegas Carts to tweak his brain about it, wondering if the muffler had too much back pressure going on. Geoff wants me to pull the plug and check it, maybe running too rich and needs to lean out some.

I ordered one of those Flowmaster 7501's, as the Kohler type muffler did quieten it down, not so much at half throttle.
M16er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #23
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Had mine @ 4750 rpms and WOT and exhaust was burbling away.I hope it works as well for you as it did for me.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:19 AM   #24
M16er
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ray, I got the Flowmaster in today. Evidently this newer model silencer has the old instructions with it showing inlet and outlet pipes. I was looking at the end with no pipe where pics showed there should be one. I was like then noticed the flange under it running almost the full length.

Did you keep your RLV or not use it at all?
Old 12-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #25
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I did not use the the RLV.I cut off about 6" of the vegascarts header.I put the muffler against the engine cradle and marked a spot giving me a couple of inches to put the pipe reducer and clamps.I think that full length trapezoid like outlet is what really gets rid of the loud lawn mower sound.I then used two large hose clamps to hold the muffler to the engine cradle.Last I bent the two round hangers up around the engine cradle.My hope is to later raise the body of the cart and move the muffler higher on on the engine cradle. It sits pretty low but so far I haven't knocked it off but you can certainly see where the paint has been scratched off from scraping on the ground.One more point I had to move the sway bar back with longer bolts and pipe spacers.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #26
M16er
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Got the Flowmaster exhaust in and I'm pleasantly surprised! Had to yank the engine out to take care of the smoke issue (valve stem and kudos to Vegas Carts!) set it up and was driving around to break it in. Wasn't noisy, and could hear a conversation over the exhaust. Factory weld must not have been that great as driving along real slow, then we get loud exhaust. Dang muffler broke off at inlet! Got it back to shop, welded up and did two reinforcing points to stop vibration.

I recommend the Flowmaster 7501!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #27
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That was why I used the clamps around the engine cradle, I was concerned about too much stress on that joint.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #28
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I have about 5 hours on mine so far and keep checking muffler header connection and exhaust to head studs. Both are still good despite my so so hanger system.I had it out for about an hour on sat and am still impressed how quiet it is compared to before.Now I guess the next factor is how long it last.I don't think the 7501 is still being made.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #29
chriskent85
Gone Wild

So all the pics I see of the 7501 has a side inlet or outlet. I can't tell. Is it really like that or is it in one end and out the other. I want to make sure before I buy one
chriskent85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #30
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The pipe on the left side is the inlet.The outlet is a channel along much of the length.Both are on the left side as I mounted it.There are other hushpowers with different inlets and outlets but this worked well with the clone engine in my yamaha g14.

Tags
g14 clone exhaust
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps