lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2021, 01:24 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: fighting electrical meltdown 91 Yamaha G8A

Sounds like it’s a typical junk aftermarket voltage regulator. I’ve seen them blow fuses right out of the box on more than one occasion.

You could send it back to Amazon and get a replacement. You may have to try a couple or few replacements before you get a good one. Or buy an OEM one. I don’t know the oem part number off hand, I’m sure someone here has it handy. If you have the oem part number you can get one from partzilla. Or you can get one from plowmans. Pretty much any other online source I wouldn’t trust for an oem part, there’s so many knock offs out there and it’s hard to tell the difference sometimes. And many of the “OEM” ones on Amazon or eBay are definitely not as advertised…

That said in my G9 I had an aftermarket VR. I didn’t personally have it blowing fuses, but had 2 of them that either wouldn’t charge, or would overcharge. The 3rd one worked at least as long as the couple years I owned the cart. If I had to do it again I’d just spend a little more on an oem one and save the hassle.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2021, 02:02 PM   #12
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks CP241. Found Plowman's link in a post. Thanks Again.
MTTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:51 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTTwister View Post
Thanks CP241. Found Plowman's link in a post. Thanks Again.
Don is a great guy to deal with, and probably one of the most knowledgeable you’ll ever meet about these Yamahas. Give him a call and he’ll help you out
Old 11-12-2021, 06:58 PM   #14
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

After unwrapping most of the cart's "engine" wiring looking for a melt down, I retested the connector from the Ignitor connector.
Ground ( black) to Orange - Shorted.
White/Black to Black - shorted.
White/Red to Black 250,000 ohms.

Orange and a RED /White ( from the start/stop switch ) connect to the coil.

The White/Red and the White/ Black connect to the "pick up" ( ignition timing off flywheel?) buried behind the flywheel. And THAT Ground Wire was Fried.

Unless these pin-outs sound correct, I'm starting to suspect the Ignitor.
Now I have to go re-wrap the wiring harness from the pedal back to the fuse.

More Input appreciated.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:12 AM   #15
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Does anyone have a decent wiring schematic for this cart? We can figure out most anything if we have something to look at…
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:32 AM   #16
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

There's a sticky linking ot a source - I printed out 3 copies. A Lot of my melted wiring was in the "acccessory" group, turn signals etc that is not o n the schematic.

What has me thinkning I need to spend $$$$ on the ignitor, is the shorts in the ignitor of the wires that go to the coil pickup off the flywheel in which THAT wiring's ground was totally destroyed.

EDIT: Scored an Ignitor from PartsZilla.com, (229 584 0046) and should be here any 'day' now :) Hope it's the cure. Found NO melted ground wires in the "engine" harness - now need to rewrap THAT. yipee
Old 11-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #17
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I've uploaded a few Pics while I'm waiting on Another part. Just to clarify my definition of a meltdown... :)

Engine Bay - battery box area : 1st look at problem.jpg

Closer look? : closer look .jpg

Had to get to the wiring up front :Had to get to wiring.jpg

UP Front wiring under cowl : Front wiring with cowl removed. .jpg

Under the floor pan - the melted down White wire separated, it didn't go away easily Under Floor Pan.jpg
Old 11-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I may be mistaken, and surely I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong. But all the wiring under the cowl and everywhere else is added on aftermarket or some type of street kit. I’d start by getting rid of all of that or redoing it completely with pvc jacketed multi-conductor cable, or at the least wrap the wires in split loom.

But I’d start by disconnecting ALL of it… horns, lights, etc. and the. Start your diag for the short. If I recall correctly the ONLY wires going forward of the engine compartment are the 2 wires to the gas pedal switch, and the oil light (if it has one, G2’s did, G9 did not. Not sure about G8’s though)

If every ground wire in the cart is melted, which by your description seems to be the case, then again, I’d suspect a bad ground either battery to chassis or the engine ground is the root cause. These carts (G2, G8, G9) are known for bad grounds…
Old 11-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #19
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yep CP pretty much - This Bundle had the turn signals.
But also had a melt in the 'engine' ( factory) harness to the front - to0the Key switch : > Black ( grnd), > Red Battery fused HOT, >Brown switched to start/stop ( Pedal) back to Ignitor, and > Black/Red Oil to oil light to key.

The R/W from Pedal runs back to the ignitor, tagging to the V/Reg tying to the Red to the Generator and the Pos Cable on the switched side of the Relay.

Oh, and Yes, during the last 3+ weeks I did actually replace all the trashed wiring which was wrapped in electrical tape before I unbundled it all tracing trouble. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #20
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Probably forgot to mention, it needs to be Street Legal, lights, horn turns etc. Drive it all over Sun City - well used to.. .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha