lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
John SC
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Engine Locked up, etc

Hey guys, nub here! Ive got a 89 CC. Nothing fancy, just a work cart more or less. (Kids do ride it some) Last year the engine just locked up. (This engine was supposedly just rebuilt.) After letting it cool off some, I was able to turn the engine backwards via the clutch and a strap wrench. I did this several rotations and it seems to turn fine, so I tried to start it, again it locked up after maybe 4 or 5 revolutions, so back tothe strap wrench. After several attempts, I finally got it started and eased it back to the house. No unusall noises, no oil light, seemed OK but I parked it regardless. A few days later I was at a local shop, who is a dealer for Club Car, but mainly sells EZgos. I described the problem to him, and he stated it sounds like the oil splasher may have broke, and that can happen when they are revved up alot. (This is did get that, but not for more than a few minutes at the most.) So my question is: What do you guys think may have happened? Oil slinger? If so, how hard is this to change myself. (I am decently handy with tools, after all I collect antique tractors) Secondly, if the case is a poroblem over constant high rpms causng this failure, is there a cure for it, other than slowing down?
And lastly, if slowing down is the cure, how do you adjust the high speed on this?

Part 2: This thing has always been a bear to start when cold. I despise this method of choking. Ha anyone come up wit ha way to make it start easier? Once its ran for a minute or so its fine. Thanks alot!!!
John SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Engine Locked up, etc

If it's the oil slinger, the easiest way (to me) to do it is to just yank the motor out and do it on the workbench. When I was working on my cart (and learning as I went) I must have pulled that motor out at least 4 times).

The only special tool you should need is the clutch puller. You'll pull the clutch off and then unbolt the crankcase cover behind it. Once that cover is off you can see if the slinger is broken off, it will be laying in the bottom of the crankcase. It bolts on with the two rod bolts.

I have a KF82 motor (the motor in your cart) in pieces in my basement, indluding an extra unused oil slinger. So let me know if you need anything.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's the piston/rod/slinger assembly from my first blown motor, my thumb is holding the (broken) oil slinger in place where it bolts to the rod:

Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
John SC
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Great, about what I figured it would be. (Thanks for the pic!) After doing some reading, can I assume that slowing the engine down will help prevent this? If so, can I also assume that if I do the reverse of the "speeding up" sticky, it will slow it down some? Should there be a governer on this engine? I begged my inlaws not to get a gas engine cart for my kids, but the "know it all" brother in law of her family said it was a waste of money. After all, this was suppose to be for the kids to ride in the feild, and my thinking, high grass and hot exhaust dont mix!! I was going to trade it on another electric CC, but I cant get anything for the gas one since everybody wants electric.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
etech
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by John SC View Post
I was going to trade it on another electric CC, but I cant get anything for the gas one since everybody wants electric.
John, around here the gas carts actually sell for more than the electric carts of the same year and model. Which cart is better depends on the intended use. For my situation, where I use my cart only occasionally around my own property, the gas cart works best for me. I can let the cart sit for three or four weeks and just get on and go.

In my opinion, the electric cart is better for everyday use on the golf course or around the farm, where you plug it in every night and drive it every day. For me, another draw back to the electric cart is that the $600 worth of batteries will need to be replaced in 3 to 5 years whether you are using the cart or not.

This is just my opinion for the way i use my cart. Others will differ.

Ed
etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I'm with etech, gas carts are way more desirable where I live as well.

As far as the governor goes, the 1984-1991 carts have the easiest governors to modify, with nothing but a small wrench and some trial and error you can set the governor to whatever top speed you want. Don't worry about the stuff in the Speed Up Your Cart thread, the governor he talks about with the zip ties only applies to Club Cars from 1992 and newer. Your cart (and mine) has a much simpler system.

Pictured below is where the governor is adjusted on our older carts. The procedure to reset the governor to stock position is as follows: Loosen the little bolt (red arrow) on the governor arm on top of the transmission. Manually push the throttle to full open position, hold in place, push the governor arm to full forward position, hold in place, re-tighten bolt on governor arm.

That should make your cart slow enough for kids, at least in my opinion. It was waaaay too slow for me, but I don't let any kids drive my cart without me on board (my governor is removed completely)! If that's not slow enough I think you can adjust (shorten) the rod that goes from the gas pedal to the control box to make it even slower. But do the governor first and see if that's what you want.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
John SC
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for your opinions gentlemen! In my area, carts are used on the streets more than anything, all ya need is insurance and a permit. Looking at the local craigslist, youll find 95% electric carts! Main reason I wanted an electric is my kids ride this cart inthe field mostly, and I dont like the idea of a hot muffler on tall grass, and I noticed the little dandelion flowers clog up the around the flywheel. Try telling 2 kids to stay in the area you keep cut! I now know why this thing revs so high, the go. isnt attached at all.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Is the rod still there? Just not hooked up?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
John SC
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Nope, no rod at all that I saw. I wondered what that "lever" was for. It always ran, so I didnt worry about it. I figured 20 some odd years of tinkering someone must have took something loose. Im starting to think I should just take the thing to someone and let them go through it for me. Theres no telling what all isnt right on it. Are there any manuals give good details like this in it? Ive noticed working on old tractor theres alot even the best manuals wont tell you.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
John SC
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update on this. I decided that I take it to the experts. (Well I was told they are experts.) They used one of those little cameras that could go into the engine, splasher is in tact, and nothing they could find without tearing the engine down, could be causing it to lock up. Anyone take a guess at what could be causing this? Its getting sold, I am not dumping any more money into it. Just would like to have some idea of somethiong to check.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car