lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
vetman1
Not Yet Wild

Default 12 volt Winch Question

I have a 12-volt multi-mount winch I use on my Polaris Ranger. I have a 2009 Club Car with the six 8-volt battery setup. Can I run the winch off of 16 volts without damaging the winch?

I hope I do not need the winch very often, but it would be nice to have in a pinch and I hate to carry an extra 12 volt battery for the few times I may need to use the winch.

Thanks,
Thomas
vetman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 12 volt Winch Question

if its anything like a radio you don,t want to try it and if you do put an in-line fuse in so you don,t burn it up ...............to be safe why not just buy a 48 to 12 volt reducer and than your done with no worries....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
gsxrfan
Gone Wild

It should be fine. Especially if it isn't used very often.
gsxrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

One local burned up a ( supposed 25 amp rated voltage reducer ) with his winch? He had added a proper sized fuse but kept blowing it when winching so bypassed? ( first mistake ) He pulled himself out twice in less than 15 minutes ( second mistake ) did this at night with 4- 55 watt lights on to see ( third mistake ) Then he replaced reducer with another one ( MANUFACTURER SAID NO WARENTEE NOT MADE FOR WINCHES? ) ( this time a supposed 30 amp rated ) and burned the reducer up without a fuse ( because it was blowing fuses again ) I think this one was defective? but manufacturer wouldnt replace as there claim was NOT FOR WINCH USE? Owner added 12 volt batterys and correct fuse NO PROBLEMS?? Could this be trying to telling us some thing?? Not being a winch user I would not know.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

old mec i think you hit it..........best thing is its own 12 volt batt with an inline fuse seperate from main elec. system this way if it does malfuntion at least cart is safe............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
riverracer
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have mine on 2 8 volt batts with no problems,Used it maybe ten times in past yr.
riverracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have set up two different brands of winches on carts with my same handicap battery that I use for my 12 volt lighting etc, BUT on one winch I ended up putting two in parrallel because of heavy use? I checked both under load and found that one winch was pulling 15 amps and the other was pulling 26 amps, not being that familiar with either brand ( Chinese Built ) I can only guess as both had same load rating that one was not the best to use? Really at 40 amp hour rated the batterys would be for minor single use between charges?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
joe100
Gone Wild

Club Car

I use my winch to raise and lower my snow plow. It wouldn't work on my 30amp converter? So I hooked up to seprate 12V H-D Battery mounted in the back well no problem. JOE
joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
thewskrs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Practically all dc motors will run fine on as much as double voltage. As long as you don't run the duty cycle way up you'll be fine. I regularly run 90 volt dc motors on 180 volt controllers. The motor really only takes as much amperage as it needs for the load. And the amperage is what really causes the heat. I wouldn't hesitate to run it on 16v.
thewskrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car