lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
truetex
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Hunting Buggies

I am finishing up a EZGO rebuild for my wife to use in our subdivision.

I want to build an electric hunting buggy. The reason I am here is that I want to know how the EZGO folks think about EZGO hunting buggies and any advantages over Club Car or Yamaha.

I want a quiet buggy for sneaking out to the blinds. I have a hunting property in Rocksprings Texas and those ATV/UTVs are noisy. I like quiet.

Any input would be appreciated.
truetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Hunting Buggies

[QUOTE=truetex;1840588]I want to build an electric hunting buggy. The reason I am here is that I want to know how the EZGO folks think about EZGO hunting buggies and any advantages over Club Car or Yamaha.

I want a quiet buggy for sneaking out to the blinds. I have a hunting property in Rocksprings Texas and those ATV/UTVs are noisy. I like quiet.

truetex.....lets assume you are going to build your hunting buggie from scratch. there are a few thing you need to consider so that your finished buggie will last and perform.

FIRST off you need to build s SERIES drive system cart. t\Series drive systems were made for creeping along for extended periods of time if need be, SEPEX drive systems are not....

SECOND...upgrade the entire drive.....controller/solenoid/f&r/cables everything AND make the jump to 48 volts. I would recommend at least a 500a controller.....SD solenoid.....HD F&R (or s reversing contactor set-up).... 2ga cables......and possible a different motor, but that may not be necessary.

THIRD....I would recommend a full frame off rebuild to totally inspect the frame, repaid id necessary, then completely coat it with a rust preventative and coated with something such as POR15.

the only true differences between the BIG THREE is on a CLUB CAR is the fact that they have an aluminum frame.....but as long as you have a solid frame, and prepare and coat it properly, a steel franed cart will work just fine, and IF you ever have to repair it, unless you know how to weld aluminum, its easier to repair a steel frame.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
truetex
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post

truetex.....lets assume you are going to build your hunting buggie from scratch. there are a few thing you need to consider so that your finished buggie will last and perform.

FIRST off you need to build s SERIES drive system cart. t\Series drive systems were made for creeping along for extended periods of time if need be, SEPEX drive systems are not....

SECOND...upgrade the entire drive.....controller/solenoid/f&r/cables everything AND make the jump to 48 volts. I would recommend at least a 500a controller.....SD solenoid.....HD F&R (or s reversing contactor set-up).... 2ga cables......and possible a different motor, but that may not be necessary.

THIRD....I would recommend a full frame off rebuild to totally inspect the frame, repaid id necessary, then completely coat it with a rust preventative and coated with something such as POR15.

the only true differences between the BIG THREE is on a CLUB CAR is the fact that they have an aluminum frame.....but as long as you have a solid frame, and prepare and coat it properly, a steel franed cart will work just fine, and IF you ever have to repair it, unless you know how to weld aluminum, its easier to repair a steel frame.
That is exactly what I did with my current cart with exception of a new motor which might be in the future.

So far I am leaning towards a 2001+ TXT if I can find one in stock condition for a reasonable price.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by truetex View Post
That is exactly what I did with my current cart with exception of a new motor which might be in the future.

So far I am leaning towards a 2001+ TXT if I can find one in stock condition for a reasonable price.
2001 was a change over year for the front suspension. 2001.5 and up have the rack mounted on the front axle. More lift kit options for these. Can be identified but the mentioned steering rack or the steering column will be mounted with 4 bolts vs 3 on the older carts.

"series" cart production ended approx. 2008 for EZGO. Will be similar for Club Car and Yamaha.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What you are wanting to do is EXACTLY what I did for our "Ranch" buggy here in Central Texas. (and what Nuke suggested) Plenty of power and range for cruising and hunting !

Check out my "signature" for specifics of the cart.... it has been running strong and trouble free for over 4 years....

Search my post history for my build thread.....

Good Luck !!
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:01 PM   #6
truetex
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTurbo View Post
What you are wanting to do is EXACTLY what I did for our "Ranch" buggy here in Central Texas. (and what Nuke suggested) Plenty of power and range for cruising and hunting !

Check out my "signature" for specifics of the cart.... it has been running strong and trouble free for over 4 years....

Good Luck !!
Thanks TexTurbo!
Old 10-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #7
Bkfiremedic
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTurbo View Post

Good Luck !!

So I read all the specs in your signature. It seems you have the EXACT build as me. Minus the motor. I’m wondering how the torque is with that motor. I have 22” tires. My torque for going up small hills seems to struggle with 2 or more people on the cart. Right now I get about 22mph but still could use more torque. My cart is 48v but I still have the stock 36v motor in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bkfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #8
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Have you looked at the EZGO Tracker EV? Its 4WD and looks like it would make for a good hunting buggie - hell it even has an optional gun rack! Lol

trackeroffroad.com/side-by-side/tracker-ev.html

Maybe can find an older one for cheaper
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #9
coosa
Gone Wild

I don't doubt at all that Sir Nuke is correct that a series drive is better for going slow in the woods, but I've been running this 2008 PDS cart for 8 years now and don't have any complaints. It has an Admiral motor and an Altrax 500 controller, and with 22" tires it will run 27 mph on flat pavement. A dealer did the original conversion and left it on 36 volts, and also took several shortcuts with it that I didn't understand when I bought it. That caused the controller to go bad after a couple of years. I changed it to 42 volts when I replaced the controller and made sure everything was done right on it. The stock motor never failed, but it did run hotter than it should, so I replaced it with the Admiral. I have driven it very slowly on steep hills since then and this motor has never gotten hot.

I have to run down a highway a couple of miles at times on my hunting club and the extra speed comes in handy. I seldom can run top speed on the club roads. It obviously isn't 4wd, but the winch on the front will get me through anything. I have even winched it across a good sized creek a couple of times.

Good luck finding what you want. I couldn't get by without my cart.

coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #10
Bkfiremedic
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
I don't doubt at all that Sir Nuke is correct that a series drive is better for going slow in the woods, but I've been running this 2008 PDS cart for 8 years now and don't have any complaints. It has an Admiral motor and an Altrax 500 controller, and with 22" tires it will run 27 mph on flat pavement. A dealer did the original conversion and left it on 36 volts, and also took several shortcuts with it that I didn't understand when I bought it. That caused the controller to go bad after a couple of years. I changed it to 42 volts when I replaced the controller and made sure everything was done right on it. The stock motor never failed, but it did run hotter than it should, so I replaced it with the Admiral. I have driven it very slowly on steep hills since then and this motor has never gotten hot.

I have to run down a highway a couple of miles at times on my hunting club and the extra speed comes in handy. I seldom can run top speed on the club roads. It obviously isn't 4wd, but the winch on the front will get me through anything. I have even winched it across a good sized creek a couple of times.

Good luck finding what you want. I couldn't get by without my cart.

Just curious which admiral motor you went with? I have a 2000 TXT with basically the exact setup as yours but I’m still running the stock 36v motor on 48v. I get about 22mph. I don’t care about mph but I want more torque lol

2000 EZGO TXT
Converted from 36v to 48v
6-Trojan T875 batteries (2017)
Alltrax SR48500
HD Solenoid and FR Switch
2 g cables
Jakes drop axle lift
22x11x10 Sahara classic tires
Stock 36v motor
Bkfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo hunting buggy
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO