lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2015, 06:45 AM   #1
onemorebeer
Gone Wild

Default speakers

I am purchasing a 09 Yamaha, reading thru the threads I cant cant find a great place for large front speakers. Is there a company that makes pods? With the body line, looks like most are limited to 4". Without going up on the roof, what are folks doing? Thanks!
onemorebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: speakers

I'll upload some better pics tonight as I am actually in the middle of re-mocking up the build so I can get the body in for paint, but this G-MAX ended up with a pair of 10" 2-way Wakeboard towers and they sound INCREDIBLE ... Mounting was a snap, I took a 1 1/2" Steel tube and mounted it to the seat uprights through the existing bag-holder holes, then clamped the speakers to that bar - solid, easy on and off, waterproof so no weather issues, and can be swiveled so if I'm parked and rocking I can direct the sound ... Added a 600W Marine amp and a Waterproof Bluetooth module that press-fits into the cupholder, and I can now use my phone, an Ipod, or whatever to enjoy some REALLY nice tunes that have more than substantial Bass without a sub. I've put a LOT of sound systems in carts, and this is by far the best sounding, easiest to install, and least obtrusive plus no rattles, no need for additional weather protection, etc AND I keep my gloveboxes. I believe that MCM has discontinued the 10's as they're no longer listed anywhere online, but they also make an 8" set that I have heard (the inspiration for this setup) and the Bas is well-defined, the speakers are well-balanced, and with a decent amp the sound is clear, tight, and can get WAYYYYY too loud.

All in all, for around $300 not a bad setup

11156223_10200542608403752_367059743195235728_n.jpg
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
onemorebeer
Gone Wild

thanks for the reply, my big block ez go that was stolen had large boxes on the roof, not going to go as wild. wish there was a pod to put up front or a way to put one around the style crease without costing a fortune.

thanks,
onemorebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
dbmachine
Gone Wild

With a rear seat what brewcity has isn't gonna work. Also I see some cutting holes in the panel above the kick plates but I don't like that idea either. Roof mount is about the only way to go for big speakers. I guess you could fab up some pods for the upper area of the firewall but would limit your feet area when relaxing
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Yeah, a rear seat does present a problem with the system I am using ... The mounts on these MCM's are pretty versatile though, and a bolt-through to the roof in front would be an easy install (however I'd drop down to their 6 1/2" models if I were to do that personally or it'll be like trying to drive with a quarter-barrel in your line of sight, LOL) ...

I don't remember offhand who made them (I want to say Clark Synthesis) but there are some *almost* flat transducers out there that could likely be mounted in the top part of your glove boxes - don't know how the reflected sound would be although You *might* actually have a significant Db increase using the gloveboxes as a horn of sorts ...

At any rate, here are a couple more pics, maybe they will help inspire some different ideas. The first is the great little Bluetooth module that fits snugly into the cupholder, it's waterproof and controls all functions of Your Phone, Ipod, etc (the amplifier itself is also waterproof and mine is mounted with a shield on the front side of the "firewall) - also, the unit has a USB as well as 1/8" inputs (again, waterproof) that I mounted inside the drivers glovebox if You wish to use a non-Bluetooth source

DSCN0942.jpg

The second pic is of the Wakeboard Pods to give another idea of size (again, THIS model is exceptionally large but I'm OK with that) ... They also look good clamped ABOVE the bar, but then they are far too close to your head and get awfully loud really quickly, shooting the sound low gives a better bass "feel" and the directional HF drivers snake the sound up between the cans and the seatbacks without any loss of clarity (which is VERY surprising in a speaker at this price point)

DSCN0936.jpg

Last thought, but the smaller JBL "Control" series outdoor speakers are an insanely good deal at the price, but the price isn't low - they could easily mount on the upright support in front on either side without being obtrusive, although You'd definitely want to bi-amp them with a smaller sub, etc so You're back to one heck of a project as well as likely flirting with that $600-700 budget ...
Old 04-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

What about separates? A pair of small mid/tweeters can surely be mounted much more easily than full range. Mount a self contained sub in the bagwell. Or, you might try to to what I am planning and make one of the shallow mount subwoofers work on the rear of the back rest. A single 8-10" mounted in the middle of the seat should do the trick and not be in the way of the passengers. Try Kicker or Pyle for examples that are about 3" deep. If that is still too deep, you can get spacers to move it out a little.

Good luck!
Greg

EDIT: For small speakers, look at flat panels like http://www.flattspeakers.com They are an OEM but sell to the public/hobbiests.
EDIT 2: For your head unit, if you still need one, check out the Jensen Marine MS30BT. It is a small, round, self contained AM/FM radio/amp with USB input and Bluetooth!
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #7
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

How dose the Battery hold up for you. I am doing a G21 Build and wanted to get a little wild with the stereo. I do custom Marine stereos so parts are not an issue. Im just thinking about battery drain. Do you run a second battery and if so do you have it charged from the cart? I am thinking of going with 2 JL Audio 7.7" single 10" sub and the 4ch marine amp with direct bluetooth connection so i will just stream off my phone. BUT as i said i may get wild 4 7.7" and 2 10" subs that cart will rock!!!
Cdebo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

I did this exercise a few years ago with our boat. How much load this will place on your batteries depends on how loud you listen, the kind of music and the efficiency of the stereo and speakers. You really can't calculate it. You have to measure it with a clamp on ammeter while listening to your music at your desired levels. If you have a sensitive meter, you will see it bounce to the music.

I can't remember the figures I came up with years ago, but we decided 2 hours of loud music on the single deep cycle battery would be very safe and still get us home. I don't listen long or loud enough in the cart to put a noticeable drain on my batteries.

EDIT: If you want to increase your battery run time, increase system efficiency. The easiest place to look are the speakers. A 6db increase in sensitivity will cut your power needs in half. Or is it 3db decrease in sensitivity requires twice the power? ****, it sucks to get old.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

LOL Gregorio - I feel Ya, Buddy. Generally a 3Db increase increases the efficiency by 50% but a lot of other things factor in such as program, Amplifier Class, etc (as You mentioned above)... These Wakeboard Towers are pretty decent at 91dB efficiency (ant there are much more efficient designs out there, some horn-loaded styles with Compression Drivers for the mids and highs can hit 101dB which is quite good, although generally those designs require a LOT more power to get accurate bass, as a standard driver needs a lot more power to keep up with the efficiency of a compression driver and horn) ... Bottom line, I chose these due to cone and enclosure size so I could eliminate the sub and after taking the pods apart and increasing the fill it's pretty nice, I will try and get some time later to run a frequency sweep and dB meter them, I'm guessing by ear they are rolling off fairly hard in the mid-40's, which won't give a really visceral "Thump" but still allows for relatively deep, articulate Bass at decent levels.

Running the cart last night to break the new stuff in and adjusting the valves, etc I was happy with them at all but WOT on the street, although the cart is running at 36mph and I had the cowl and body off of it so I was fighting quite a bit of extra wind noise and the engine noise wasn't being dampened at all by the body or the acoustic foam that's in it - even backing off and running mid-20's these cans had absolutely no trouble cutting through it all nicely though so I'm guessing once I get everything back together it should be a nice blend (and again, at the low price point). Just for fun, here's what the cart and speakers look like without the body - lots of wind and engine noise at 30+ that's for sure

At any rate, not to delve too deeply into the tech end, another easy way to get a rough idea of battery use is to look at a given Amp or Head Units' specs for peak Amperage draw and do the math from there. Again, without too much technical mumbo-jumbo, with a gas cart You can generally count on about 3hrs at reasonable volume and still have the juice to start it up, take a good 15 minute ride around at higher speeds and charge things back up (but that's pushing it - I personally like to use an hour as a rule of thumb). A quality Marine Battery will also go a LONG way to improve this without the inherent hassles of a second battery - although running multiple amps, likely a Capacitor, etc will of course change everything.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #10
gadawg31
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Does anyone have any experience with this Jensen model ms30bt? I am looking at getting one and wanted to see what all it entails. Is it worth the $150? I have speakers, just need to get the head unit and I can't find a lot of details on the web about it, so thought I would ask. Thanks.

JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radio head.jpg (5.5 KB, 0 views)
gadawg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha