lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
SGF
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 06 TXT Clone build update

I guess this is sort of a semi-build thread. It's going to be long so I can cover everything up-to date and in the hope it might provide some value to members considering this swap. I've had two previous posts asking input on doing this and the advice I got was very helpful.

Background- I have a 2006 EZGO TXT with the Robins engine. The engine was rebuilt in 2011 and had failing rings recently. Based on what I learned here I opted to spend the extra for the clone swap rather than a rebuild of the Robins. That decision was mostly based on my use of the vehicle which is farm type transportation and some hauling where the additional power would be an asset. Before going on I need to point out that I had the work done by a cart shop that specializes in EZGO. They did the actual install as I knew I was never going to find the time to do it myself soon enough to satisfy me.

Delivery- I brought the motor and accessories to the shop still in the boxes so we could look at everything together. I wanted to be sure we had a solid start. We noticed that there was a dent and missing paint in that spot on the bottom of the fan cover. It was in an area that would not affect operation. Vegas Carts offered to replace it but I told them I could live with it. The shop also noticed a leak from the valve cover gasket. The gasket was sent but hasn't arrived yet.

While these things could certainly be seen as negatives I want to say that Vegas Carts has maintained their reputation of customer service. There is a lot of mention here of Aaron and other staff members being quick to assist and the company touts that fact. It is true. They answered questions from the installer when they hit a stumbling block and were very quick to respond to my emails as I prepared to do this. Their reputation is intact with me and frankly was a big reason I decided to do this swap with their kit. Companies note, if you don't think the comments from people on Internet forums matter you are living in a dream world.

The Install- I break this down into the issues the shop ran into.
1. There was a keeper for the throttle cable that came with the kit. It was not long enough to work with the engine's throttle lever. I thought this odd since the cart's pieces weren't in this mix.

2. The kit's bracket for the stock starter didn't line up and had to be modified a good bit before it fit. The shop owner told me it was a good bit more than a little edge grinding. VC said there would be things like this and I know it happens when modifying anything with aftermarket parts.

3. Shop said the cart's oil light will not work with the new engine. Certainly not surprising or a deal breaker but I figured I'd mention it in case others care.

4. The stock choke cable will not reach the choke lever on the clone's carb. If I recall it says in the directions that with their starter the choke isn't needed. I am using the original starter so I'm not sure how this will play out in cold weather. We have winter but it isn't common to see temps below 20 F so we'll see. I may add one just to be certain.

5. The nipple on the axle for the original engine's governor had to be cut off for the clone to fit. From what I can tell that pretty much lets out ever reinstalling the Robins again without an axle replacement.

There were more hiccups with the install but this is good for now.

Getting the cart back- So here are first impressions. I am not going to say I am pleased or displeased at this point. I just got it back so I need some time, but I will offer input later.

1. The shop said I wouldn't like the way the exhaust is installed and that is true. It is too low and would cause grass fires and or break off, and you see how it looks. They recommended I go to a muffler shop where they have the proper benders, etc. I agree with that as well. I am going to use the pictures Sschifer posted for me as that install would work, hopefully in my cart. We were concerned that mounting the muffler higher would cause the exhaust hitting the tire and damaging it but I noticed Sschifer's aims at the tire and a turned pipe would remedy that easy enough. If he's reading this, an additional photo showing the muffler at the rear of the cart would help me out.

2. Changing oil will take some adjusting to. Even though there are two drains and I think two fill ports, access is doable but somewhat limited.

3. I haven't decided if I need to install a kill switch. The engine has a wire for it but I'm not certain I need it.

4. The shop set the accelerator peddle up so I push it to the floor and when I raise it a little the engine fires. It also works in that spot when pushing down. He said they did it that way so I wouldn't push down too hard and break the cable. Even after discussing it I don't get this. It does work normal were pressing down increases rpm's etc. For me the peddle feel is horrible and will take some getting used to. I often need to drive slowly. When I do so I often feel like I am driving something in 2nd gear when I should be in 1st. it will buck like that too unless I am peddling just right which works. Once I press down more it is fine and accelerates well, and a heck of a lot quicker than a stock cart...whew! I'm not sure what to do about this. I could live with it but I'm not sure I want to, because I do so much slow speed driving.

5. As some here have told me, it is louder that stock. I can deal with the noise without much bother. My wife says it sounds like the zero turn mower and that is about right. Maybe even a little quieter and definitely quieter than my old tractors or skid steer.

There is more but this is plenty for now.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: 06 TXT Clone build update

3 points I can relate to here. 1) I spent a lot of time getting the pedal feel and linearity. I will bump up my clone throttle thread.Ended up using all the stock cables and added a bell crank using the disabled governor shaft. 2) Did not like the way to check the oil or add oil.Added a stock honda dip stick unit.This required a longer belt on the S/G and an extension on it's bracket. I will also bump up my overfilling a clone thread where another member suggested the honda dip stick system. 3) Is the exhaust system. This is the part where things get complicated to get a quiet cart. One other comment on the choke I only use on my rare winter rides.In that case I flip up the seat and flip the lever start the cart run it for a short time,less than a minute,and then flip it back.This was easier than building some sort of linkage.I hope this gives anyone doing a clone swap some food for thought.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also look at cutting the header pipe shorter and mounting the muffler closer to the rear axel.
I did this on my vc kit
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I have no idea why a shop would change the way the cart starts/throttles with the pedal, they should not have. You have to shorten/etc the lever to the carb to make it idle and be full throttle at full pedal, its ratio of travel, any mechanic should be able to figure that out. It should idle slow started and running, before you press more to take off, that enables slow driving. You usually have to adjust the carb idle mix and speed to get it to idle really slow like it needs to in a cart.....which is not normal for a lawn type small engine but it will do it with correct adjustment. It should work very much like a stock cart.

The exhaust is maybe the most open or problematic area with clone swaps, you can't use the stock exhaust it wont flow enough, its hard to find quiet mufflers and/or one that fits a cart easily. I certainly would not mount one up like in that photo and that straight thru type muffler will not be that quiet. You would be better off with a square looking muffler off a 20hp or better lawn engine they are quieter and will flow enough. I run a car muffler as seen on this page http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone...-clone-bb.html but I used a coupling from robertson and the muffler swings on the rubber hangars, that way it moves with the engine but is mounted to the frame not the cradle.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
SGF
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

What you say about the slow idle could be my issue, or at least part of it. Now that I have a few days of driving it I've learned that the real difference from stock is that I have to press the peddle down further to start the engine. I actually don't have to press to the floor and come back up like they said. I can hit the start "spot" by pushing down about 80% travel. What I seem to be missing is the low rpm idle point. It takes a delicate peddle to start out and run at low rpm but I'm adapting to it.

I am fine with the muffler I have, at least for now. It really doesn't seem too loud for me but I should say that I have almost no hearing in one ear and I mostly use this cart for short trips carrying tools, etc. so I'm not bothering others with noise or listening to the sound for long stints. I looked at the link and I like the rubber hanger idea. However I do it the way it is hung now is terrible. The strap already broke which doesn't surprise me
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You need to find the pedal switch that starts it, I forget on those on yamaha its on the pedal. They are usually adjustable. It should spin over soon as the pedal moves. Then the pedal should go a little more before it starts to open the carb. That way it can idle and not really move the cart but still be running. Get the cable adjusted like that, then warm the engine, then hold it idling and adjust the idle jet for a good idle, turn it out richer a little more, set the idle speed while you do this for a slow idle it should nearly hit the compression release. Mine does it will still idle missing because the starter keeps it going and its barely running. Cart should be EASY for you to use, I have no idea why they set it up that way. A clone usually will not idle slow stock but the Vegas motor is supposed to have the screw, often in other clones it is plugged off and you have to drill the plug out. The idle mix is on the side near the spacer to the head, the speed is on top where the throttle moves and hits it at idle.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps