lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
podryna
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car DS 2000.5 need to add motor braking

I have a 2000.5 Club Car DS, all stock, runs fine. However, after purchase I discovered that while *some* 2000.5 DS cars had motor braking provided by the IQ system, this car does not. Also, there is no run/tow switch and no programming port.

Here are the details:
• Car: Club Car DS A0043-xxxxxx 48V
• Controller: Curtis 1204-410
• Motor: Club Car 101785701 Model 5bc59jbs6194d Date Code RRN.N -> Cross references to a GE motor
• Charge controller: Lester (I don’t care about this part because I’ll be installing a custom battery charge system).
• F/R switch is a large level style.
• No programming port. Indicates it is *not an IQ model*.

My property/drive has a steep hill, so I need to add motor braking so I don't burn out the mechanical brakes. This stock unit does not have that capability. Upgrading to 400A would be desirable but is a secondary concern. A MAJOR concern is to not overload the motor requiring a replacement. Likewise I have no desire to upgrade the motor. The charging system is irrelevant and I have no desire to upgrade to an IQ harness. Less is best.

Ideally I would just like to upgrade the controller to add motor braking... that's all.

How do I do this?

-Peter
podryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2021, 07:33 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car DS 2000.5 need to add motor braking

Welcome to BGW!

From your description and serial number, you have a series cart, not a regen cart. The regen cart system provided motor braking but the series cart did not.

Others may chime in but I do not know of any way to provide regen braking without major component, motor and wiring harness changes.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
podryna
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Tom! Just to close this issue, ScottyB did reply with the details:

"Hi Peter
This cart needs a different drive system to meet your requirements.
Nothing short of a new control system and motor will do what you are asking.
Take a look at the IQ conversion here > https://www.cartsunlimited.net/iq-conversion.html
For the best results in custom control addon the FN2 device which allows the driver to adjust the regen braking power and speed on the fly."

So the only path will be a complete upgrade at about $1800+ (incl. tax). Questionable whether it's worth it on an otherwise very basic cart.

-Peter
Old 08-07-2021, 06:10 PM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by podryna View Post
Thanks Tom! Just to close this issue, ScottyB did reply with the details:

"Hi Peter
This cart needs a different drive system to meet your requirements.
Nothing short of a new control system and motor will do what you are asking.
Take a look at the IQ conversion here > https://www.cartsunlimited.net/iq-conversion.html
For the best results in custom control addon the FN2 device which allows the driver to adjust the regen braking power and speed on the fly."

So the only path will be a complete upgrade at about $1800+ (incl. tax). Questionable whether it's worth it on an otherwise very basic cart.

-Peter
That's about where I was at 5 years ago. Bought my cart for $1800, and to date have put over $2400 in it plus I just purchased lithium pack for $2100. So I got $6300 invested in it.

But I'm sure I could easily sell it on BGW for.....maybe $2500.

Since I love it and it does what I want it to do, I'll gladly keep it!
Old 08-07-2021, 06:18 PM   #5
podryna
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

LOL, Yup, too many of our vehicles go that route. I'm going to sell this one and just buy one with an IQ system already installed. Just need the motor braking.

Here in California the carts go for a bit more. Usually around $3500 if they are 48v in good condition. 36v are a bit cheaper, and gas ones don't seem to sell.

Thank you again Tom for your excellent reply.

-Peter
Old 08-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by podryna View Post
LOL, Yup, too many of our vehicles go that route. I'm going to sell this one and just buy one with an IQ system already installed. Just need the motor braking.

Here in California the carts go for a bit more. Usually around $3500 if they are 48v in good condition. 36v are a bit cheaper, and gas ones don't seem to sell.

Thank you again Tom for your excellent reply.

-Peter
Gas is too expensive in California I guess! If you can get one with 2 or 3 year old batteries for $3500, grab it.

Good luck with your search. BTW that series cart would be easy to sell in the flatlands.

Tags
club car ds, controller upgrade, motor braking
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car