lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
Stone
Gone Wild

Default Rebuild thoughts, recommendations, advice.

Izzy finally gave out so I am going to pull the motor and see what she needs.

SHE GETS USED VERY LITTLE SO I AM NOT GOING TO PUT A LOT OF MONEY INTO HER ....... $300 MAX. It might be as simple as engine seals in which case I will replace seals, gaskets, and rings; it might be far worse.

Attached are pictures of the ID plate and the cart showing the lift/tires.

I am waiting to hear back from EZGO to see if they can ID the exact engine so I can be prepared with parts.

A couple questions:
1. She has always had very limited power/speed uphill and I am sure part of that is due to the oversized tires. The original belt is an HP2011 from Dayco and I would like to do what I can to offset the gear ratio loss caused by the big tires, I don't care a lick about top end speed. I have the Dayco belt chart and would like to know if anyone has experience with shorter/wider belts to improve gear ratio.

2. Any advice or recommendations on what to look for, what to plan on, best place to get parts, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Izzy painted reduced.jpg (351.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ID plate.jpg (481.2 KB, 0 views)
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Rebuild thoughts, recommendations, advice.

Most thoughts on shorter belts are in the 1" shorter range. Take your seat off and sit on the side and start off on your cart try to notice where the belt on the drive clutch rises to just as it starts to move.
It needs to start as low as possible in the drive clutch for maximum pull or torque. If it is starting in the middle area you are losing all of you take off torque.
That can be remedied several ways, maybe new belt, shorter belt, usually 1" shorter, or moving your engine forward away from the transaxle 1/2" will have the same results as a 1" shorter belt.

Edit: I was just reminded the engine in that cart is mounted so the belt runs side to side, not front to back like I was thinking so your best option is a new belt or shorter belt.

Thanks DI....
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Your cart is a 1986 with a 2pg engine. All of the internal parts are the same up to 1988.

There are a few sponsors with parts. If they are out of stock, I have had good luck with vintage golf cart parts.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:06 AM   #4
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Your cart is a 1986 with a 2pg engine. All of the internal parts are the same up to 1988.

There are a few sponsors with parts. If they are out of stock, I have had good luck with vintage golf cart parts.
Thank you!

Is the 2pg the 244 cc motor? I see reference to a 295cc, and 340cc for that year as well.

Also, if I find someone to bore out the head, what can I expect from the .25mm or .50mm oversize piston and rings?
Old 08-05-2021, 09:06 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The 2pg is a 244 cc 2 stroke that was available through 1988. In 1989 the same size 3pg engine was built. The 295 4 stroke wasn't available until somewhere around 91, or 92.

When you ask what to expect from an oversize piston, I assume that you mean performance increase. I say nothing.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
The 2pg is a 244 cc 2 stroke that was available through 1988. In 1989 the same size 3pg engine was built. The 295 4 stroke wasn't available until somewhere around 91, or 92.

When you ask what to expect from an oversize piston, I assume that you mean performance increase. I say nothing.
So I assume that the oevrsized piston and rings is just for use in the event you need to hone the cylinder to get a perfect surface?

Another question so I can be prepared once the work is done. Izzy was always painfully slow uphill and I know part of that is due to the larger tires. I read the thread about shorter belts and 28 degree clutch and I saw reference to how "lifting the cart" could cause this as well but when I look at my cart, I cannot see how lifting could change the distance between clutches because both are attached to the frame?

Am I missing something regarding lifting the body?
Old 08-17-2021, 06:45 AM   #7
Stone
Gone Wild

Well!

Things went incredibly well so far!
1. The head bolts were lose and the head gasket was blown.
2. The piston and cylinder looked good, it had already been bored .25 over.
3. Took the cylinder to a machine shop and had it tested and it was dead on.
4. The crankcase bearings wear shot.

So......I will get it fixed for about $170
1. Rings
2. Bearings
3. Gaskets
4. Engine mounts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO