lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2021, 09:12 PM   #41
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1981 Lithium conversion possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81clubcar View Post
I am about to power this thing up for the first time... I have to admit, even thought I’ve triple checked everything I’m nervous... the wiring is completely different then the original, there isn’t a single wire in the same spot...
I remember that feeling well! I tore everything out of my cart and started over as well, and then swapped out the body and added a light kit! I am not the best electrician and touching that last wire to the battery puckered me up.

Check it one more time and go for it; we are all pulling for you!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2021, 09:13 PM   #42
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Tom... you’ve been my security blanket during this instal, I thank you brother 🍻...

I went ahead and did something similar... (-) is sourcing from the B-Altraxx bolt and the (+) is coming off the load side of my 200amp thermal on its way to the solenoid...

I am about to power this thing up for the first time... I have to admit, even thought I’ve triple checked everything I’m nervous... the wiring is completely different then the original, there isn’t a single wire in the same spot...
I'm sorry I forgot the photo download. They are there now but I guess you figured it out.

I was very nervous about firing it up the first time. Only thing I would say is to not connect anything other than the main + and- cables and the charger for now. You can hook up the accessory 48 volt later.

Best of luck, and it has been a pleasure going through this with you!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:57 PM   #43
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update: Had the thermal tripped when I bolted the 250 breaker to the Positive post so there was no load possible unless there was some crazy short... so the real pucker was closing that circuit... absolutely nothing happened which was perfect! Checked lights anD all accessories, worked fine. Bit the bullet and took the old gal out for a 3 mile shakedown cruise (as we said in the navy) and stopped every mile to check for hot spots. Main concern was some of the old 48” x6guage wires I have going to the motor from the F/R switch... no real issues there.

I did notice my solenoid was piping hot though after the 3 mile stop... I assume that is not normal and may indicate that a beefier one is needed... go figure, it has the most wires on it.

Any suggestions for a size / model?

Plugged it in for about 5 min until it went solid green, then hooked up the LCD monitor and set it to 100%... after three miles and resting a few hours it is now sitting at 88.6%... that means I should be able to get a good 18-20 miles on a charge down to 25-28%... that sound right?
81clubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:04 AM   #44
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Update: Had the thermal tripped when I bolted the 250 breaker to the Positive post so there was no load possible unless there was some crazy short... so the real pucker was closing that circuit... absolutely nothing happened which was perfect! Checked lights anD all accessories, worked fine. Bit the bullet and took the old gal out for a 3 mile shakedown cruise (as we said in the navy) and stopped every mile to check for hot spots. Main concern was some of the old 48” x6guage wires I have going to the motor from the F/R switch... no real issues there.

I did notice my solenoid was piping hot though after the 3 mile stop... I assume that is not normal and may indicate that a beefier one is needed... go figure, it has the most wires on it.

Any suggestions for a size / model?

Plugged it in for about 5 min until it went solid green, then hooked up the LCD monitor and set it to 100%... after three miles and resting a few hours it is now sitting at 88.6%... that means I should be able to get a good 18-20 miles on a charge down to 25-28%... that sound right?
Solenoid coils get hot enough to burn you so it may be normal in your case. What is the solenoid amperage rating if you can read it? If you need one, get an HD 200 amp from Scotty. Or follow his recommendation for your cart.

As far as mileage, my 72 Ah gets me a solid 39 miles as proven by a 27 mile ride in one day. At 36 volts, your range might be less, but I'm still learning about the operating data of lithium batteries.

Felt good to be cruising again, didn't it?
Old 08-28-2021, 09:28 PM   #45
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I went ahead a ran over to my local cart shop and got a bigger solenoid, I just didn’t like how hot the solenoid got, there are a bunch of wires crammed on it and the heat can’t be good...

The new one should be a 200amp and is drastically larger. I pulled the old one out and it has 15amps written on the side, but that can’t be right... took it for another 2 mile test run today after the swap and the solenoid had no heat what so ever... mission accomplished
Old 08-28-2021, 10:08 PM   #46
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I went ahead a ran over to my local cart shop and got a bigger solenoid, I just didn’t like how hot the solenoid got, there are a bunch of wires crammed on it and the heat can’t be good...

The new one should be a 200amp and is drastically larger. I pulled the old one out and it has 15amps written on the side, but that can’t be right... took it for another 2 mile test run today after the swap and the solenoid had no heat what so ever... mission accomplished
Great news!

I can't see that being a 15 amp solenoid but if it is black plastic and smaller terminals, it is a 36 volt relay, not a solenoid. It is a wonder it worked at all.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:10 PM   #47
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well... it had to be a solenoid... it was one of the 5 for the original resistor coils. Pretty sure there is no question about that. I’ll see if I can get a picture and post it and we can decipher this mystery...
Old 08-30-2021, 07:04 PM   #48
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Well... it had to be a solenoid... it was one of the 5 for the original resistor coils. Pretty sure there is no question about that. I’ll see if I can get a picture and post it and we can decipher this mystery...
If it is a resistor coil solenoid, I would think it should be 50 amps or more. See if looks like this:

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...club-cars-8016

If so, that probably would not handle the running amps of your cart. That most likely was the problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car