lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2022, 03:56 PM   #1
brunson67
Getting Wild

Default Extreme Team 200ah installation help

Hello all,

I made the plunge and purchased the Extreme Team 200ah kit for my 2001 Club Car DS. I've started the installation but need some help.

Regarding charging - I purchased the onboard charger. I'm assuming I can simply remove everything that had to do with the OEM charging system, correct? Including cutting the wires that go from the OEM charger receptacle to the OBC? My plan is to install an RV style 110 volt receptacle, with cover, where the OEM one was.

OBC - Since I wont be using the OEM charging system, I'm assuming the OBC is longer needed. Can I leave it in there so I don't need to run a new cable? It currently has a stud kit I did to allow me to use large welding cable for all my cables. The Extreme Team Instructions say to cut the blue wire and white wire on the controller and splice them together, this disables the OBC. I did notice when I was under my cart, the blue wire and white wire that would be coming out of the OBC loom has been cut on the opposite side of where the OBC loom connects together, I must have done this for some reason when I built the cart, but cant remember. But there is still the blue wire and white wire coming out of the actual OBC that I can cut and splice together.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
brunson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2022, 04:13 PM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Extreme Team 200ah installation help

No need to splice the wires coming out of the OBC, it’s the other side that needs to be spliced, which has already been done.

Once the OBC is bypassed you can remove everything to do with the OEM charging system.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:44 PM   #3
brunson67
Getting Wild

Do the blue and white need to be spliced together, or can they just be cut? Mine are cut and not spliced together, and there cut so short I cant splice them unless I take apart the plug.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:28 PM   #4
LakePlacidGolfer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunson67 View Post
Hello all,

I made the plunge and purchased the Extreme Team 200ah kit for my 2001 Club Car DS. I've started the installation but need some help.
Does your 200ah battery have 12v terminals on it in addition to the 48v? Does it have the Comm port for the battery meter or did they include a shunt?

I got the 100ah battery about 2 weeks ago with no instructions on any kind. There are no 12v terminals (like they show on their website) but there is a comm port for the meter. I was told I received the new "upgraded" high output model that does not have the 12v terminals.

I'm planning to mount the charger in the battery box and wire it directly to a male 110v outlet to replace the OEM socket.

Wayne Martin has a video on how to bypass the OBC on a DS.

I'll be posting progress on my Extreme Team install here.
LakePlacidGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:00 PM   #5
brunson67
Getting Wild

Mine is two separate battery backs, 100ah each, that go on each side of the frame under the seat, with a crossover to put them in series. On battery pack does have the 12 volt terminals. This is apparently a new kit designed specifically for DS carts. The kit came with a shunt and gauge to be installed. I'll check out how to bypass the OBC on a DS, and also follow your build. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2022, 09:10 PM   #6
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunson67 View Post
Mine is two separate battery backs, 100ah each, that go on each side of the frame under the seat, with a crossover to put them in series.
Pretty sure you want to hook these in parallel and not series.
simicrintz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:54 PM   #7
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yep, most likely parallel.

The blue and white wires that come from the cart side should be joined together to bypass the obc. The side that goes into the obc is left cut. But……if yours is cut and not joined on either side then your cart shouldn’t be running, unless the join/splice has been made elsewhere.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:22 AM   #8
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Yep, most likely parallel.

The blue and white wires that come from the cart side should be joined together to bypass the obc. The side that goes into the obc is left cut. But……if yours is cut and not joined on either side then your cart shouldn’t be running, unless the join/splice has been made elsewhere.
Just a point of clarification regarding the OBC Bypass video posted in this thread. The guy describes two wiring mods, one for DS and one for Precedent. He is correct there are two mods but drive system defines which method applies:

Series Carts (DS only) - connect yellow solenoid wire to pack negative.

IQ Carts (DS and Precedent) - connect blue and white wires together.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:34 PM   #9
brunson67
Getting Wild

My installation is done, but have a few questions, but would also like to put the specs of my cart first
2001 Club Car DS, 700 AMP FSIP Controller, 5.5 HP Motor, Large #2 cables throughout, Scotty B's large Solenoid. Started as a stock two seater, I stretched it 33", it has modified Stretch Plastics Long Travel, and four wheel disc brakes (Honda Civic rotors) and 24" tires.
Extreme Team 200ah kit, with an on board 20 amp charger. I'm not using the ODB at all, the charging system is a stand alone supplied by Extreme Team, that is mounted on the cart.
1. My white and blue wire I had already cut right after the the plug, and they were never connected together, cart has been running for about 7-8 years now this way. So the cart doesn't qualify as a series cart now, correct?
2. What about the yellow wire being connected from solenoid to battery negative, as suggested by DaveMJ above?
3. I have been driving the cart. It had a hick up for some reason going up a hill with the throttle floored, it just died, then I shut everything down, and it started again and has been fine for the last few days.
4. What would you expect to get for miles with a 200ah kit on a cart like mine, with big controller and motor, big tires? I was expecting a lot more than what I'm seeing by the battery gauge they supplied. It dropped from 100% to about 65 percent over about 11-12 miles. This seems like a big drop to me.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:01 PM   #10
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
3. I have been driving the cart. It had a hick up for some reason going up a hill with the throttle floored, it just died, then I shut everything down, and it started again and has been fine for the last few days.
How cold does it get to where you live? Just wondering if it's cold shutting you down. My car was doing the same thing on cold mornings.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car