lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
SoFLCart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Brake cable extension

How can I tell if a brake cable extension has been installed on my cart? My brakes keep locking up and I am trying to troubleshoot the problem.
SoFLCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #2
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Default Re: Brake cable extension

There is an adjustmennt under the cart that adjust the tension on the brake pedal. also, you can adjust the brakes at the drum to give it some more slack to keep them from locking up.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:26 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLCart View Post
How can I tell if a brake cable extension has been installed on my cart? My brakes keep locking up and I am trying to troubleshoot the problem.

Look at it. There should be a mechanical linkage from the brake pedal to an equalizer bar that in turn pulls on 2 cables - one to each rear wheel. Has it recently been lifted? if so the linkage / cables need to be adjusted to compensate for the additional distance to reach the brake actuators. Can you tell if it's just one wheel or both that lock up?
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:29 PM   #4
SoFLCart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Look at it. There should be a mechanical linkage from the brake pedal to an equalizer bar that in turn pulls on 2 cables - one to each rear wheel. Has it recently been lifted? if so the linkage / cables need to be adjusted to compensate for the additional distance to reach the brake actuators. Can you tell if it's just one wheel or both that lock up?
I bought it lifted. It has locked up previously but just started getting worse. I have to feather the brakes to keep the tires from chirping. I have attached a photo of the cable connection. Is the red arrow (in the photo) pointing to something I can back out a little to lessen the tautness of the two cables to the rear wheels?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake cable connection.jpg (141.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-12-2022, 10:09 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is the adjustment for the cables. You would normally expect it to wear toward loose as the shoes wear, not tighter. The other adjustment is inside the brake drums - similar to conventional automotive drum brakes.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:29 AM   #6
SoFLCart
Getting Wild

Club Car

So is it easier to adjust that nut on the cable than adjusting the bolt in the drum? Also, does it look like I have an extension cable on the cart?
Old 01-13-2022, 09:35 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You need to check that the u-bolts that hold the rear axle are tight. Brake lock is common on lifted carts when the axle is loose and applying the brake causes it to rotate on the springs. Loose u-bolts = loose axle
Check that all of the spring bushings are in good shape as well. Worn out or missing bushings can/will worsen any brake problems.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:25 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Another possibility is a build up of brake dust in the drums causing the brakes to snatch on quickly and making the tires chirp.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:27 AM   #9
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

DS carts, mine included, work just fine with stock cables on a 6" lift even without flipping the brakes as long as an allowance is made to allow the cable to drop a little lower at the rear cable support near the wheel.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:48 AM   #10
SoFLCart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
You need to check that the u-bolts that hold the rear axle are tight. Brake lock is common on lifted carts when the axle is loose and applying the brake causes it to rotate on the springs. Loose u-bolts = loose axle
Check that all of the spring bushings are in good shape as well. Worn out or missing bushings can/will worsen any brake problems.
I have checked the bolts and they are indeed tight.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car