lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2021, 10:09 PM   #1
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Columbia Summit - 4 flashes

I have two Columbia Summits. One that I have not been using much but have been driving sporadically ( always on a charger) died. I am getting 4 flashes on the controller. the flash codes for the sevcon says it is: the battery connections, The 24v contactor/ solenoid or the brushes in the motor.

I cleaned all of the connections on the battery bank and the controller and the contactor relay no change. I had a 24-volt Albright on hand and swapped it out still nothing and the 4 flashes.

Before I get the motor out I want to understand a few things.

1) On my running Summit when you turn the key you get 1 click. On the problem cart now there are two clicks. does they indicate anything? Is the second click of the controller shutting down the contactor because there is a fault in the motor?

2) when I turn the key should I have 24 volts on the two wires on the control side of the Albright? I am working alone so it takes time to turn the key and get the voltmeter on the leads. Is there no voltage because the controller shut it down?
inairam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Default Re: Columbia Summit - 4 flashes

The contactor will show +48 (full battery pack voltage) on both sides. If all was working correctly you would see one side go to 24 volts from the controller, giving you the 24 volt potential to engage the contactor.

If a brush is stuck the controller senses it and immediately disengages the contactor to protect the controller from damage. So yes, your summary of point 1 is correct!
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:09 AM   #3
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

I bench tested the albright relay at work and I have low 50s in ohms on the control tabs and infinite ohm across the posts. When energized on batteries to 24 volts nice click and 0 ohms across the post so it is not the contactor.

This unit has a full cab so it has a heavy-duty motor. I purchased it from a rental company and they sent me service records on the unit before I purchased it. One item was the motor was supposed to have been replaced in Feb of 2017 - 69301-04 DRIVE MOTOR
Old 12-07-2021, 10:06 AM   #4
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Look at the motor tag, it is date coded. But if it sat a brush could still be stuck.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #5
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Well it was the motor. I happen to have a backup motor and installed it and the 4 flashes went way and it moved as before.

The motor removed had CPC P/N 69301-04 and this replacement is 719339 both numbers are listed as HD with tach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor.jpg (106.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-11-2021, 10:51 PM   #6
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Since it’s a spare you might want to take it apart and look at the brushes. Could be just sticky brushes you could clean up and hang on to for a spare again.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:54 PM   #7
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Btw, that motor isnt new. Date code shows it is a 2007. Its also black and ahould be blue so guess would be it was “rebuilt” and painted only.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

I knew it was not new when I got it. It was rebuilt by D&D motors - paper in the box which it why I got it. I had a motor done by them and was happy. It was leftover someone's project. I think paid $400 on ebay.

The motor in the cart was a rebuild and it did not have the Columbia label
Old 12-13-2021, 07:26 AM   #9
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

This is what came out. Not a lot of info
Attached Images
File Type: png motorout.png (301.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #10
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Youre right there. I’m not a fan of rebuilds just when not done exactly to original specs because the controller is programmed to exact impedances and looks for that. With that said it doesn’t mean that some places don’t do a good job, just means it’s hard to verify what standards they actually do without good documentation.

Good news is that you got your back up and going though!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar