lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2021, 10:21 PM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Transaxle brakes 2011 G29 Drive

Great pictures - keep them coming. Did you leave the axles in when you split the case? It looks to me like that's doable if you are only going to do the brakes. I will have to get more cans of Brake Clean. I only got two. :-)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2021, 05:59 AM   #12
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes they can stay in unless your doing the bearings. My bearing all feel good still so I’m leaving them. Speaking of bearing you need a press to remove and reinstall a bearing to change the spline plate....see photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D44EBB09-B4A9-462D-8778-9BBF623C2055.jpg (156.3 KB, 0 views)
Sean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:46 AM   #13
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I did not know about that. I don't have access to a press now.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #14
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here’s a few more pictures to help with your upcoming project VA. The first one is after cleaning with the bearing balls back in place. The second is the steel actuator plate (for lack of a better term) on top of those. The third is a picture of the first steel reaction plate on top of that followed by the side gear/tined friction plate assembly. The fourth is the carrier plate on top of that. This will start your friction plate reaction plates stack, followed by the top plate.

I’m sure you can improvise something if you don’t have a press. The bearing was not difficult coming off or going on, otherwise any machine shop would be able to handle that for you. I’d offer but you’re a little far from me LOL

By the way when you take the motor mount plate off to get the case bolts out, the motor shaft could pull out of the housing don’t panic it slides right back and nothing falls off the inside
Old 02-02-2021, 02:13 PM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Great pictures - Thanks! It will help my confidence a lot. Was there a lot of gunk in the diff when you took it apart? I'm sure mine has never had a fluid change in 11 years. I know the guy that owned it before me. I used to have machine shop access when I was in Colorado but not here in Az. I am sure I can find a machine shop in Scottsdale though. I started asking around today after seeing your post. I am sure I can get the bearing back on but getting it off without damaging it is what I am concerned about.
What brake rebuild kit did you buy? The one I have is from RedHawk. Parts look ok but I have nothing to compare them to yet. I think my brakes are fairly worn based on the fact that I have no cable adjustment left.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #16
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I did not have a ton of gunk but there was a bit and it was crazy hard to get off. I did end up going through six cans of brake cleaner until I was happy with it. I did change my fluid last year and did the transmission fluid flush at that point because I wasn’t happy with the brake performance. I also have the red Hawk kit, I got it for 198 shipped with a 5% off welcome coupon. I didn’t see many for sale aside from OEM which would have been rather expensive.

I did measure all my stuff after I took it off and it actually was still within spec so I probably didn’t actually need brakes but I was too far gone to stop LOL.

I’m considering doing another flush after it’s back on the golf cart I may run cheap transmission fluid through it again for one last cleaning before I fill it up. I figure after all this she should be good for a while. I just have concerns about putting transmission fluid on the new brake pads because I know with motorcycle clutches you’re supposed to soak them in oil before installation I don’t know if they would absorb the wrong fluid or if it would even matter.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #17
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think you have it plenty clean enough - and I would just fill it with the right stuff and then change it in four years like recommended. You have it much cleaner now than a flush could do. These things normally get run way past the recommended four years. (been there, done that!) After I rebuild my 2009, I will change the fluid in my 2012.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:41 PM   #18
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

VA Here’s what I did and it seem to work well I’m sure there’s different ways, I hope this helps you:

Lift golf cart on jackstands both rear wheels about 2 inches off the ground

Remove both tires

Drain transaxle fluid 8MM HEX KEY

Place jack under transaxle to support weight

Remove access panel disconnect four wires to motor studs one plug for regen 10 mm and 13 mm wrenches (2 of each required for stud back up)

Disconnect brake linkage (I removed the plate (3 bolts) instead of removing the cable, as I never have luck getting them to snap back in securely)

Remove rear sway linkage 19 MM Head bolts

Remove rear shocks 17 MM head bolts

Gently lower transaxle down until it’s resting on fully retracted Jack

Remove eight bolts holding transaxle to frame
14 MM head bolts

Remove transaxle to workbench

Remove motor from transaxle mine had three bolts it appears there should be four 1/2” head bolts

Remove motor mounting plate from transaxle housing four bolts 1/2” head bolts

Remove 14 bolts holding transaxle half‘s together, bolts are 2 different lengths make sure you mark before disassembly 1/2” head bolts

Split case, nothing really falls out, motor shaft could but goes right back in.

Degrease phase 1 with 2 cans brake cleaner

Remove 7 bolts holding brake assembly in place 3/16 hex head

Remove brake assembly like Johnny cash (One piece at a time) I stacked mine in the order they came out, was pretty relevant since I had access to that page of the shop manual from this forum.

Phase 2 cleaning 3 cans of brake cleaner and compressed air

reinstall brake assembly, torque bolts , I did two stages first stage were seated second stage was 20 foot pounds.

Phase 3 of cleaning clean gasket meeting surface minimal brake clean and clean rags

Apply small amount of gray RTV silicone (my go to for everything) enough to seal but not enough to ooze substantially into the case

Reassemble halves torque 14 bolts I went in two stages first stage was seated second stage was torqued to 22 foot pounds

Let’s sealant dry for 24 hours refill with Lucas severe duty Dino oil for limited slip differentials I don’t believe synthetics would be a good fit they may be too slick for the braking system I cannot back this up I am basing it off the fact that I have read it is not recommended to use synthetic oil for engine brake in period as The Pistons and rings will potentially not seat properly

Reinstall on cart reverse of above
Old 02-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Great info! I have done motors on two of these carts and they do only have three bolts. The stock motor is 10mm metric bolts but some replacement motors use 1/4-20 bolts.

Can you point me to the shop manual page you had access to? Might be a help. Your pictures are great. I think I know enough to do it. I bought two quarts of the recommended Yamaha dif fluid - it's made for limited slip diffs which have clutches very much like the brake discs. I agree that you don't want synthetic for this application.
I have removed the motor with the transaxle in place but it might be easier to remove it afterwards like you did since the transaxle is coming out anyway. I have a new motor that is going in when I reassemble things.
Thanks again for all of the great info!
Old 02-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #20
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sure thing:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=167010

Tags
brakes, friction pads, transaxle, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha