lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2018, 10:41 PM   #1
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Prototype Curtis Controller for RXV Elite

I picked up a controller today to evaluate and resolve issues with. It used to be a new 1206AC-5211 RXV controller, but it had been reprogrammed with OS 5.0 software for a 1206AC-5221. It has been reprogrammed multiple times, while trying to work out bugs in the software and VCL. As it is now, it is on Build #13. It has both GPS and BMS modules of VCL added to the CAN Bus code. Conflicts exist between the GPS builds and the BMS builds, which is what led to the failure of the controller in operation while installed in one of the Textron prototype Elite RXVs. It was brought to a Golf Course community in a very steep mountain area of western NC. The cart operator was experiencing repeated overvolt protection shutdowns while decending a steep road. The solenoid opening upon error caused voltage to spike in excess of the 96 volt limit of the controller. This shut down the controller permanently.

This reminds me of a member here that had this exact same issue recently, and did not accept my offer to reprogram the brake resistor settings to resolve the issue. What is odd is, this controller had been reprogrammed with my suggestions to resolve the problem, but whoever made the changes did not integrate the changes into the BMS code, to prevent the BMS from commanding the solenoid be turned off. My suggestion was for a lead/acid pack, not an RXV Elite with the lithium pack. The BMS integration with the controller via VCL totally changes how things need to be addressed. I have a feeling that Textron may be in a bit over their heads with fully integrating a lithium BMS to a Curtis RXV controller. 13 builds? It should not be that hard to get it right. You just have to fully understand the issues and work through them in the correct way.

I will be working on this issue. It's rare to have this sort of issue with a golf cart, as it only involves carts that are starting out with a full charge, then having to regen a lot before enough pack energy has been used to make room for more charge. I have the solution, but it must be fully integrated into the design.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Prototype Curtis Controller for RXV Elite

Reading your post about reprogramming the controller is quite interesting. I face similar issues developing software for the securities industry. People are kept in their own little world coding their one part. In your world that's BMS people vs GPS people. In my world it could be the Trading Systems developers vs the Statements developers.

It seems to be the same issues regardless of the language and platform...
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:52 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Reading your post about reprogramming the controller is quite interesting. I face similar issues developing software for the securities industry. People are kept in their own little world coding their one part. In your world that's BMS people vs GPS people. In my world it could be the Trading Systems developers vs the Statements developers.

It seems to be the same issues regardless of the language and platform...
You're right on track... then we have Curtis, holding tight control over the non-release of WinVCL to vendors. So the GPS people and the BMS people have no clue how to write their code to be VCL friendly, because they are given no information on how to each write their code to integrate smoothly together with the other vendors. You can end up with conflicts, which then must be resolved by the VCL writer. When the GPS was introduced in 2014, GPS communications were interfering with other code that had been added to support other smart devices that were planned to be added in the 2015 model year.

I had to track down and resolve that issue when a conflict between the speedomoter and GPS communications occured, and literally shut it down. It mimicked a controller failure, which could be resolved with a reset of the controller. Until it happened again.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Interesting read.
I’m typically not afraid to be an “early adopter” of new tech. But in the last few years I think I noticed a trend that products are being released to the public (by seemingly solid brands) that aren’t as fully debugged as they should be.
With today’s incredibly sophisticated technology (see bobs example above) I think companies are underestimating the resources needed to sort out the details.
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #5
egregbell
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. Fortunately I do not have any hills on neighborhood or either golf course. I have a few friends with the lithium EXGO carts and no problems yet. I should take possession next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
egregbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:31 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by egregbell View Post
Thanks for the info. Fortunately I do not have any hills on neighborhood or either golf course. I have a few friends with the lithium EXGO carts and no problems yet. I should take possession next week.
You should not have any issues. It's only that narrow list of full charge downhill use conditions that have the issue, and it affects ALL of the new RXVs, not just the Elite. The Elite is the only model that will permanently shut down the controller however. I'm trying to get this resolved so it never has to be an issue for any RXV, regardless of the battery type. The lead/acid RXV is simple to resolve, just apply the fix that was applied to the Elite that I had recommended. The Elite just needs this fix integrated properly with the BMS interface.

Bob
Old 01-26-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
frog31761
Not Yet Wild

Following for the information , same boat
frog31761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO