lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #21
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1983 Marathon Gas - Clutch Issue

Cart Around... I watched both Videos, the internals on mine are like the first video. Three weights on pivots. Similar to his experience, I can't seem to see ANY thing wrong with them. There was a significant amount of 'dust' or metal debris in the housing when I opened it up. Even though I can't get deep enough to inspect exactly how it operates, I'm thinking there may be 'Ramps' beneath those weights and the weights push against those to close up the pulley gap? If the Ramps are Aluminum and the Weights are Steel, I would be doubtful that a new set of Weights would fix the problem.

What are you folks opinions? Being an 'old geezer' with a SSI Income, the most economical route is my preference. But I don't want to spend $30 and still fail...

Thanks, Bruce
BrucecurB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2021, 12:40 PM   #22
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Welp..... As far as your decision goes, clutches do wear out. I'm on my second or third replacement in the last 20 years that I've owned the buggy, one of them was that dang 94-C (with the pucks) that didn't last very long. Just sayin'
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:52 PM   #23
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Hey folks, I'm Celebrating!! Virtual refreshments are on me...

I had an overnight flash of inspiration! Got to thinking when I ran the drive with the axle on stands, I noticed the Belt was distorting a bit on the 'Driven Pulley' mounted to the Axle Pinion. So, I verified what I thought this morning. Some 2 foot long tire bars, a Dead Blow Hammer and some penetrant... WaaLaa! It appears that the Driven Pulley's 'ramp' had over extended just enough to bind and hang in that position. A little 'love' and lubricant... Fired it up and it works smooth as silk! Actually, it now works better than I can remember in my 20ish years of over working the poor thing.

So, I appreciate your patience and advice more than I can express. I do have one worry, I removed the Clutch mounting bolt and dust cover. When I replaced the mounting bolt, I could figure no way of holding the clutch to Torque the Bolt. I resigned myself to a couple of light 'rattles' of my cheapy Impact Wrench. I'd like to Torque the Bolt... Any ideas?

Thanks again!
Bruce
Old 12-02-2021, 09:13 PM   #24
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

If we are still talking about torquing the drive clutch, you have at least two options.

First is squeeze the starter belt with one hand to hold everything while torquing with the other hand.

Once you get tired of that.........

Remove the spark plug, and stuff some rope down into the cylinder. Turn the clutch by hand until the engine is locked up. Now you can torque the bolt.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:17 PM   #25
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I've been thinking about your mounts too.

Check your shocks, and springs. Make sure the rear end isn't moving around so much that it's destroying the mounts.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:00 PM   #26
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Man, if I poked that cylinder full of rope it would surely get caught in a port and I would be pulling the Head to retrieve it! Yikes... Been there done that, no fun. I replaced the Piston/Rings/Wrist Pin Bearing a few years ago! Seeing as how I already 'rattled' it lightly, I may call it snug unless something arises. I didn't remove the Clutch from the shaft, so it should still be well seated.

On that crazy Engine Cradle / Wishbone Rear Suspension. I fabricated a mount set up from some left over shock absorber isolators and used a couple of Body to Frame mount washers I had floating around. Thus far, no vibrations and I promise this setup will NOT have lateral movement issues!

I'll report back with further adventures....

Bruce
Old 12-05-2021, 11:43 AM   #27
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Clutch Update!

Joyriding around the property, doing some testing on hills and such with no load before returning the 'Mini Truck' to work duty. I noticed an occasional road speed to engine speed oddity, so back up on the stands for observation. The Pinion mounted pulley seemed 'hesitant' to adjust, sort of sticking. After a nice Air Nozzle dusting, I applied a spray of 3M 'Dry Type' Silicone spray followed by several speed cycles. That appears to have been effective... for now at least!

Thanks, Bruce
Old 12-06-2021, 01:51 AM   #28
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Wait a minute, you stated earlier the driven clutch had over extended and was able to bind/hang up. That's not suppose to happen, have you checked the 'shoes' on the ramps? If they're wore down so it's metal to metal the clutch won't perform correctly, in fact it'll act just like you are describing.

Here's a pic of mine, this is after maybe 10ish years I really don't remember how long it's been. But mine are still good for awhile, they do wear out and are replaceable.

EDIT:
I did a search and couldn't find replacement shoes for our years, but did see a new driven clutch for as little as $114 on Ama
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 85 Driven Clutch_LI.jpg (161.5 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:48 PM   #29
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Dabble Inn...

I inspected those little wear point 'shoes', they look fine. It appears that enough 'gunk' had built up on the part of the clutch shaft that slides inside and outside of one another. Serious cleaning and dry lube, it's working great since.

T's, Bruce
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO