lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2022, 04:30 AM   #1
Stevowevo
Not Yet Wild

Default Duromax carb and exhaust questions

Hi guys,
I think my new engine is almost here. Duromax 440. Going in a lifted DS cart. I intend to keep it pretty close to stock, maybe a rev kit but that’s about it for mods. It’s my understanding from a little reading here that the stock carbs are not that great for a cart application. Is this something that can be fixed with parts or should I consider a whole new one? I’m not sure what my options are in aftermarket carbs. Hopefully someone can explain a few options.
The exhaust. (I think) I’ve seen it sized from 1” to 1-1/4” . I don’t know if bigger is better here or if my carb setup plays a role in sizing that. I can tac weld pieces together and have my neighbor finish it. So my question here is what size and would one of those you-weld kits be a good starting point? Any advice for some or all of these parts would be mucho helpful

Apologies for the word salad, I work better with tools vs keyboards
Stevowevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2022, 07:43 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Duromax carb and exhaust questions

The mods you make to the engine really depend on what your goals are. How do you intend to use the cart?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:02 AM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I gave the carb recommendation in another of your post. For the exhaust IF your Duromax's exhaust port come out at a 90 degree angle of the cylinder head an easy solution is to use the vegascarts header for your cart and add the Walker 18192 muffler. This is VC's recommendation and quite a few BGWers have used this set up for a pretty quiet cart. If the exhaust port comes out a 60 degrees you will have to either change to the more standard head or start on an arts and crafts exhaust system.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:24 PM   #4
Stevowevo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
The mods you make to the engine really depend on what your goals are. How do you intend to use the cart?
Mostly it’s a daily driver for the wife. The kids will use it too when they visit. This one doesn’t have to be a speed demon. We do have some pretty steep hills and a few bumpy dirt roads.

Ray I appreciate your help here and the other thread. I wasn’t sure about how much these two components would play on each other. Also I am still trying to nail down exactly what I want/need for this project. Obviously my first one. If all goes well enough I might try another one with a little more arse in it.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-27-2022, 09:34 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I would run it like it is and see how it does. It's quite a bit of an upgrade in power from stock, it might run just fine. Don't those come with a muffler?

When I had my VC440 it was stock with just a rev kit and it pulled some pretty steep hills on the hunting property, hills you wouldn't want to walk. I also drove it all over the gravel roads down there, it would run 25-30 mph up and down the rolling hills. If I added an adult passenger it would slow down a bit, 2 passengers and it would struggle to do 15 mph uphill. I did have the adjustable VC carb on there. It had 1" exhaust kit from Vegas Carts and I tried several different mufflers. Settled one the on in the pic from local tractor store.

I also had another cart that had the Duromax 440 in it, all stock, and it ran really really good, no hesitations, no popping. It was fairly powerful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart muffler.JPG (116.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IH-20 muffler.jpg (6.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-27-2022, 03:31 PM   #6
Stevowevo
Not Yet Wild

Good deal Slonomo. Since I don’t have the engine here yet I don’t know exactly what the stock exhaust has. It looks like a stubby elbow then right to the muffler. I will have to extend the header to the rear of the cart somehow. That’s why I mentioned those U-weld parts. Shipping takes forever to get stuff down here so I was just looking to see if someone else had done anything similar. Kinda sucks waiting 3-6 weeks for a part to maybe show up.
I should maybe do a build help thread once I get enough parts here to start. I don’t want to keep dirtying up the site with all my randomness. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2022, 05:25 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I don't see a location in your avatar, where you from? Looks tropical. We're up to our knees in snow in Ohio.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:42 AM   #8
Stevowevo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I don't see a location in your avatar, where you from? Looks tropical. We're up to our knees in snow in Ohio.
I have family up your way about an hour south of Columbus. But yeah, I’m in the Virgin Islands right now. Originally from the northeast but that cold weather causes me joint and back pains so I try to avoid it. I miss the change of seasons though
Old 01-29-2022, 11:02 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevowevo View Post
I have family up your way about an hour south of Columbus. But yeah, I’m in the Virgin Islands right now. Originally from the northeast but that cold weather causes me joint and back pains so I try to avoid it. I miss the change of seasons though
Oh ok wow! Ohio to Virgin Islands....I'd take that move any day! Well now I understand about getting parts etc. Parts are hard to get here in the "States" let alone in the middle of an ocean lol.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:13 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Stevo, what I did on my exhaust was I ordered a "builder pipe kit" that comes with flanges, elbows and straight and curved sections. The kit I got was from Vegas Carts, don't know if they still sell that. I called and talked to one of the guys and they made a kit up for me. The pipe was 1" id and thick walled and welded super easy with flux core. If you weld with gas it would be even easier. 1" pipe should be just fine for a stock engine. If you were going for max power racing type engine then yeah maybe 1.25" pipe.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!