lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
TexasTruckster
Not Yet Wild

Default Voltage spiking-jumping 2stroke stereo issues

I have an 87 ezgo 2 stroke that runs great. I have an issue with the stereo cutting out, doesn't shut off, just stops playing through the speakers. The amp doesn't cut out either so the sub continues to produce sound.

Sound system consists of a brand new Kenwood bluetooth stereo. 2 sony marine 6.25 inch speakers up front. 2 6x9 cheapo speakers. There is also a 500 watt DB amp pushing a 1200 watt sony explode 12 inch sub.

I disconnected each set of speakers and the amp all individually and the problem persists. I also wired straight to the battery for no change. As well as put in a brand new battery. I drove the cart all last weekend and burned an entire tank of gas and had no starting or charging issues.

We found out towards the end of the weekend the stereo will play for the most part with the volume turned all the way up. It still cuts out but not all the time, seemed like there was a sweet spot in the engine rpm. System sounds great as long as your foot is off the gas.

When I got home I tested the voltage with the wheels off the ground.

Key on = 12.5 volts

Press gas pedal and the voltage is all over the place reading 100+
Doesn't matter if the engine is being started or is running and generating, it's all over the place until the pedal is fully disengaged.

I feel like this is my stereo problem and could lead to more issues down the road.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Also look for a future post from me with pics of the month long resto I just got done.
TexasTruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage spiking-jumping 2stroke stereo issues

100+ volts?!?!Digital or analog volt meter? On rare occasion the Made In China digitals can get confused.

I'd be very surprised if you had legitimate 100 VDC. That would blow the 12 to 14vdc stereo. For me, anytime I see something that makes absolutely no sense I look for a bad ground first. More often than not, the ground is the culprit.

Just the amount of wattage that is required to take your 12vdc battery and launch it to 100+ volts would be unreal. There must be something off. Did you take your voltage readings at the stereo or at the battery? If you took it at the stereo, try the same test again but at the battery. I bet you'll find your battery doesn't get above 14.5v.

Good luck!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
TexasTruckster
Not Yet Wild

I took the reading at the battery but my volt meter is a cheap digital elecro-tek. I will see if I can borrow a better volt meter tomorrow.

The voltage made no sense to me either. Maybe my voltmeter is suffering from the same thing my stereo is when I hit the gas pedal.
TexasTruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:29 AM   #4
holmsey2012
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Try to find an analog meter I had the same issue and the people that rebuilt my start/gen told me some digital meters get "confused" and cant read fast enough. Try a resistor spark plug.
holmsey2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #5
crum83bc
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like "clipping" which can happen with a failing voice coil in a speaker, speaker wire short, or power supply issues. I agree with Bronsonj, and the first place I'd look is at the ground. Are you grounded at the battery? If you have a bad ground at the radio, it can pull a ground through the antenna, but is is a poor ground and can make the radio cut in and out.
If the radio stays on, but only the speakers powered by the Kenwood cut out, look for a shorted wire. The radio has protection built into it that shuts down the speaker outputs momentarily if it senses a speaker short. Wiggle the wires near the harness to see if you can duplicate the problem. If so, it's likely a short. If not, trace the wires from the radio to the speakers, are they pinched against any metal, rubbing through the wire jacket, or wires close to touching at the speaker terminals? Did you use wire connectors or simply twist and tape the connections? If twisted and taped, are you sure your tape hasn't slipped allowing wires to make occasional contact?
Did the problem start immediately after the new stereo? You may be pushing it beyond its limits. I've met a lot of radios, and never one that liked being at max for any period of time.
There's also the possibility you have a bad radio out of the box. If you still have your old one, try reinstalling it to see if the problem goes away.
crum83bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
holmsey2012
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Does it work better without the engine running or same?
holmsey2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO