lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Clutch wont engage

So i got it running, thankfully all it was, was a dead battery. It runs whenever i put pressure on the gas pedal but when i disengage the hill brake the clutch wont engage and the cart wont propel.

All i know about the cart is it ran then when he stopped it then the battery died. Their is no "glove box plate", only sign of distinction is it says EZ-Go Textron.

Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated. Im such a newb on carts and i want it to run.
SamCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Clutch wont engage

Sometimes the best thing to do when you are trying to figure these things out is to jack up the back end and put jackstands or sturdy blocks under the axle so you can run it in place with the seat off or opened up so you can see what's going on in there...Have a look and then post back with what you find. Pictures of the engine compartment would help too!
Pocono Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

heres a picture of the engine compartment. Im not so sure it actually starts it just sounds like the motor is running, the belts turn as well but just like nothing is there to tell it to accelerate and go.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok.. It's a 2PG motor

Could it be that it's just the starter turning over and it's not actually firing the motor up? If the throttle cable is moving and it's actually running when you goose the throttle it should increase the engine RPM

Is it spooling up or does it stay the same?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono Country Boy View Post
Ok.. It's a 2PG motor

Could it be that it's just the starter turning over and it's not actually firing the motor up? If the throttle cable is moving and it's actually running when you goose the throttle it should increase the engine RPM

Is it spooling up or does it stay the same?
it stays the same when i goose the throttle. So that would mean it doesnt actually fire it just tries to start.

Also heres the picture of the belt that runs from the dif. Looks like its missing a sprocket or similar?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes..if no change then it's not actually running.

That drive belt looks way loose and the clutch surfaces on that clutch look a bit on the rusty side.

Can you post a picture that shows both the drive and driven clutches in the same shot?

How long has it been sitting since it was last driven?

What state are you in? Maybe one of us is somewhere nearby.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Where is the tensioner so i can tighten up on the belt? i noticed its really loose too. I am in California but it sat outside on a family's property for a good couple months.

I just took the spark plug out and its black as all hell so im getting a new one of those right now. Maybe thatll work.

heres the pic, i already set the cart down so i wont be able to get you an underneath shot.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

also is there supposed to be a cable running from the bottom left of the picture above to right under the gas tank there is a lever. Whats that for?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Cali eh? A little too far for you to bring it over here..I'm in PA

There's no tensioner for the drive belt...it might be time for a new one if it's real loose.

The rust concerns me though...If it was me. I'd get it running first and let that old belt do some polishing for you before putting a new one on it. If the old belt doesn't do a good enough job polishing it for you then you may need to turn over that job to a pro.

10-4 on the spark plug. A new plug, fresh gas and a good charge might get it to fire up and then you can go from there.

If it's been sitting that long, there's a good possibility that your carburetor, fuel line and fuel filter(s) are pretty nasty inside as well. You might want to consider replacing the fuel filters and cleaning the carb at a minimum ..maybe replace the fuel line as well. I did all three to mine and it made considerable difference.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCarroll View Post
also is there supposed to be a cable running from the bottom left of the picture above to right under the gas tank there is a lever. Whats that for?
That is the speed governor. As the driven clutch goes faster it expands and presses against the lever. This in turn closes the accelerator as you approach maximum speed. You can forget that for now as it will have no effect on starting. As PCB says, you should probably concentrate on fuel lines and filters for now. If you have a spark it might be worth squirting some gas into the air intake to see it it tries to start.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO