lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Got a "new" cart

Well, I'm new to the golf cart thing, but refuse to buy an electric, or one that costs more than $1000. So, although my existing cart is still not fixed (frozen driven clutch) http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...h-removal.html , I couldn't pass up this new one I found and craigslist .... mostly because my wife didn't tell me I couldn't get it.

It's a 1989 (I think) Columbia Par Car. It's in decent shape - much better than my existing EZ-Go. The story is that if allowed to run out of gas, it won't start again without a lot of work (to prime it). Two years ago, it was run out of gas, and he never bothered to mess with it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1587.jpg (61.8 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by scubajoe; 05-15-2009 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: typo
scubajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
wheelz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Got a "new" cart

nice find..good luck
wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, it acts just as the guy said. Cleaned out the gas tank and added new gas mix, put a fresh battery in, and it turns over but does not start. He said it was a pain to get primed, but once he did, it would run fine, as long as it didn't run out of gas. Now to figure out how to put pressure on the gas tank (that's what he apparently did to get it going). I'd like to fix the problem (likely the fuel pump?), but would like to have it running before I put any money into it.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajoe View Post
Well, it acts just as the guy said. Cleaned out the gas tank and added new gas mix, put a fresh battery in, and it turns over but does not start. He said it was a pain to get primed, but once he did, it would run fine, as long as it didn't run out of gas. Now to figure out how to put pressure on the gas tank (that's what he apparently did to get it going). I'd like to fix the problem (likely the fuel pump?), but would like to have it running before I put any money into it.
good idea.good luck.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
wheelz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

is the comp. good? I had one with bad comp. and it took forever to get started..honed and put new rings in her and it fixed my problem..
Old 05-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll be trying to check compression tomorrow. I've done nothing but put new gas in it, a charged battery, and held the choke for a while. He said it ran fine once it started, as long as it NEVER ran out of gas. We'll see. I'll check compression first, and see if I can spray some starting spray in there, and go from there. Hopefully compression is good, or else it'll start to look like a golf cart junk yard around here. I'm a little worried about the fuel pump and carb, since it's been sitting for a few years, and the gas was pretty nasty in it.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Oh, any ideas on getting the tank pressurized?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
wheelz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Go to a auto parts house and buy a cheap 12v electric fuel pump..That is how I make sure I have fuel going to my carb when Im trouble shooting fuel issues..plus it comes in handy if you are out by yourself and the mech. pump goes..
Old 05-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Good idea. I'll see if I can find something tomorrow. Thanks. I did read somewhere though that the Par Car doesn't like anything other than the stock fuel pump. Not sure why it wouldn't, as long as it's moving fuel.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
wheelz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

cause of the pressure on the floats with a electric pump.. I would not recommend running it full time but it works great to make sure you are getting fuel to the carb or to get you back home...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts