lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2005 MCI 'spitting' after lift kit even with rebuilt engine

25-30mph is asking an awful lot out of a golf cart. Deleting the governor all together is just asking for trouble...

I would set it to stock. Stock governor, set it to 12-14mph factory specs. See if it still does it now. I'd bet it wont. And then tell him it is fixed and set to factory specs. If any modifications are performed to speed it up any warranty is void. You can get tamperproof stickers for the cables (the kind that remove the printing from the sticker if you try and remove it) and use a dab of transmission gasket maker (it dries hard like clay) at the base of the bolts, so if the bolt is messed with it will break the seal. Take pictures of the tamperproof precautions for documentation to cover your butt just in case. Make note on the invoice that any modifications will void warranty. And rid yourself of this headache. Customers like this arent worth the money to deal with...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #12
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

CP241, if you go back and read his post he said he reduced the speed to 17mph and it still did it. I don't think he wants our opinion on how to run his business. He just wants this thing fixed.
Not sure you ever had your own business but I did for 24 years. We have to do what the customers want, not what we want. I had customers that wanted stupid things done but they paid me big money to do it so I did what they wanted. Part of being self employed. Just my 2 cents so don't take this wrong.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
CP241, if you go back and read his post he said he reduced the speed to 17mph and it still did it. I don't think he wants our opinion on how to run his business. He just wants this thing fixed.
Not sure you ever had your own business but I did for 24 years. We have to do what the customers want, not what we want. I had customers that wanted stupid things done but they paid me big money to do it so I did what they wanted. Part of being self employed. Just my 2 cents so don't take this wrong.
No offense taken and I understand completely :) believe me I respect your opinions.

He did say reducing the speed to 17mph helped a lot, just didnt completely eliminate it. I also have to wonder if the extra "cushion" the governor would normally provide makes the throttle open more easily from a start, since he said governor is bypassed which I would take to mean throttle cable runs straight from pedal to carb. Its certainly worth trying to revert everything back to 100% stock and see how it behaves. Then if it's good when set at stock spec, let the customer decide if they want the hesitation gone or if they want to modify it to go 30mph.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #14
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Oh I understand fine--just the customer disagrees and won't hear of it. at 17 the issue was reduced but not gone completely--probably would be if it were stock speed. But customer demands 25-30 out of it. He's gonna have to either accept spitting or going slow.

It's not bypassed as in the little gear in rear end is removed. There's a large cable tie holding the spring on the rear where the cable goes all the way in--a lot like the nut does if you run it in--more speed. I've seen it done a lot on club car gas carts, And it more or less disables the governor.

I've also had folks tear the rear ends apart to remove the governor gear completely. Those are some interesting test drives, I assure you. Especially downhill.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #15
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I have a 2004 ezgo cart and it now never shoots back. Takes the gas as soon as I hit it . I have a lift kit on mine also.

It was shooting back some when I got it last year and that's when I started from scratch adjusting the linkage according to manual. I replaced both cables , also the accelerator bushing that I marked in red. The bushing is plastic and it was broke. Could not get it right until I replaced those things.

The pedal timing has to be 100 % correct in order for this cart to perform correct. I know you said you already checked it but wanting to make sure you have not missed something like I did on mine.
My gas pedal moves a little more than an inch before I see the carb linkage move throttle plate.
Just a reminder

I know exactly what you are dealing with. Customer wants 30 mph and don't care how he gets it. He also don't want it to sputter
Let us know how you com out after engine is installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg linkage.jpg (154.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #16
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Where does one actually get those cable bushings for the spring assembly? We can buy the entire thing (whole assembly) but it's quite high priced. I do believe ours is broke as the cable pulls right through it instead of catching like I remember it should, which I do believe would cause issues like we're having, but we can't seem to find the bushings anywhere for sale.

The cable that we can get is the more modern cable, just a loop at the end that would hook to the rear end assembly, but ours is the older pre-MCI version where the cable has the spring/bushing combo at the end.

Part #40 according to your pic. But EZGO no longer has it.

The 'unreasonable customer' goes well beyond issues such as these. Try having some guy who bought one of those three wheel Harley/AMF carts (which are garbage and aren't designed to go over 10 MPH much less what they attempted) and insists that miracles can happen--aka getting a crank, or drive clutch for a cart that old. Good luck is all I can say. Would have better luck finding engine parts for a Chevy Vega.

Quite recently we had an owner of a Club Car Caroche (really old first generation DS 36V with a front end only a mom would love!) insist that the hydraulic brake parts were easily located online. Well, they aren't!. When we told him that he acted like that was a failed 'test' (like if we had the part or could get it, we'd be credible mechanics) and said he'd go to AACO in Evansville, IN. The funny thing about them is, they not only have no service dept, but they once tried to pawn off a 2011 TXT gas as a 2017 TXT just by putting a 2016+ body on it.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post

Quite recently we had an owner of a Club Car Caroche (really old first generation DS 36V with a front end only a mom would love!) insist that the hydraulic brake parts were easily located online. Well, they aren't!. When we told him that he acted like that was a failed 'test' (like if we had the part or could get it, we'd be credible mechanics) and said he'd go to AACO in Evansville, IN. The funny thing about them is, they not only have no service dept, but they once tried to pawn off a 2011 TXT gas as a 2017 TXT just by putting a 2016+ body on it.
I love the Caroche look. I think they're cool, so you can call me mom

Yeah parts for that old stuff is pretty much luck

Hope.that bushing solves this for you. I know how difficult it can be with some of those customers. Back when I worked in the car audio industry I had a customer with a Lamborghini that wanted a pair of 12" subs. Um... where am I supposed to put that?
Old 10-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #18
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

It looks like ezgo has the parts you need. If this is not the one you need then maybe yours is not a 2005 ?? Can you take a picture and upload it here so I can take a look.
I can find most parts for these carts. The newer ezgo website I showed below is great.

https://shop.txtsv.com/vehicle/index...G01%7c%7eA-3/y

If you don't see it at the link I showed then go here and click fleet
https://shop.txtsv.com/vehicle/index...matics_button#
Old 10-16-2019, 01:08 AM   #19
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Just thought i would jump in here and first, apologise for not doing it earlier. I have to concur with Trigs comments about throttle timing. Just humour us and try this.
with the ignition off, push the go pedal slowly by hand while watching the carb controls while listening carefully for the pedal switch to click. IF you see movement at the carb butterfly before you here the click, then almost certainly that is the problem. you then have to fiddle around to get the throttle to open (as trig stated) one inch of pedal movement AFTER you hear the click. the reason for this is that if the butterfly is open slightly before the switch activates, then fuel has already built up in the cylinder before the spark plug fires. This will give all sorts of startup issues including the symptoms you describe.
I will point out i worked on both the pre and MCI engine for many years before retiring and in almost every case of adjustment to go faster, the butterfly will open before the spark.

I hope this helps and please dont take this as any dig at your competence. I am not trying to teach granny to suck eggs. just trying to help.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:11 AM   #20
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

sorry! double post.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO