lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
GT350Mike
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Problem with voltage dropping from battery to charger plug

I'm going into my second year of owning a 2005 Club Car and run into my first problem that I can't seem to figure out. I bought and installed new batteries last week and it was reading 54v (so far, so good) but when I check the voltage at the charger plug/receptacle, it only reads 41v. The wire running from the positive side to the plug looks normal and so does the connector. This is where it doesn't make sense to me.....I removed the receptacle from the cart and cleaned all three connectors and after re-installing the receptacle, it read 54v. I knew a dirty connector could not make full contact with the pin and would cause it to heat up because of the resistance, but didn't know I could loose voltage.

Anyway, after getting the 54v I put the charger on it overnight and after a full day of use the following day, I plugged in the charger and the charger never kicked in. I checked the voltage and got 41v again. With all that being said, does it sound like I just need to replace the connectors or could I have other problems?

BTW, to rule out any potential problems with my Power Driver II 22110 charger, I went ahead and replaced the relay, rectifier, and circuit breaker.
GT350Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2017, 05:35 AM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Problem with voltage dropping from battery to charger plug

Ive never figured out how club car does that, but its normal.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:35 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Let's first clarify something: The voltage reading at the charger receptacle is not the same as the pack voltage.

The reason is the charger receptacle negative wire does not go directly to pack negative, instead it goes to an SCR inside the OBC that controls the charging current.

You do however need to verify the positive wire from charger receptacle is connected to pack positive.

You do that by placing your multi-meter negative probe on pack negative and the positive probe on charger receptacle positive socket. The voltage reading should be the same as pack voltage.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #4
GT350Mike
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post

You do however need to verify the positive wire from charger receptacle is connected to pack positive.

You do that by placing your multi-meter negative probe on pack negative and the positive probe on charger receptacle positive socket. The voltage reading should be the same as pack voltage.
I verified the positive wire is connected from the charger receptacle to the pack positive and did check the voltage from the pack negative to positive side of the receptacle socket and the voltage is the 54v......which is the same voltage when I check the battery pack voltage. For some reason I was only getting 41v last time I checked.

Thinking my problems where behind me now that I had 54v at the receptacle, I hooked up the charger and th charger never kicked in. I recall seeing a trouble shooting somewhere on this site so it looks like I'll be spending my weekend troubleshooting the cart and the charger.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is a charging troubleshooting guide in the stickies at the top of this forum.

Since You have voltage on the positive charger receptacle, make sure the gray sense wire is connected. If this is a DS, also check the fuse in the fuse holder near the receptacle.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:47 PM   #6
GT350Mike
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It's always the little things....turns out I had a bad fuse. Put in another fuse, cleaned the sockets one more time, plugged in the charger, and now it's working fine. Thanks everyone for your comments!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2384.jpg (150.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2385.jpg (199.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2386.jpg (209.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

I hope you installed the correct 3/8 fuse, and didn't over fuse it.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 09:36 AM   #8
Grandmajoy
Not Yet Wild

Where was the fuse ? I have the same issue on my 2005 Precedent ?
Grandmajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car