lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
RxGuy
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 Marathon 3PG woes

My 89 Marathon had been running great up until just recently. I put it in storage for the winter and when I got it out this spring it still ran good. Then the engine started to stumble a bit on the top end, but still had pretty good low end power. Eventually it started running bad at all throttle settings. When I started to investigate, I found a hole in the flexible intake tube between the air filter and carb, so it has been breathing some unfiltered (dusty) air for a while.

Then the fuel started blowing back through the carb. I took out the plug, and it was very wet.

I have:

1. disassembled the carb, cleaned everything, made sure float was set correctly and all jets were clean.
2. took off the intake manifold and cleaned the reeds. I figured that if the engine was eating dust, that maybe one of the reeds might be gummed up and stuck open, allowing the blowback through the carb.

I did not have a tester at my cabin...

These 2 steps did not help.

Because of the blow back, and the plug being wet, should my next step is the fuel pump?

I have not checked the compression yet, but will when I get back up to our cabin.

Point me in the right direction please!!

Thanks in advance

Blair

Oh yeah, since all my fuel system woes, I think the solenoid has gone bad too. The accelerator limit switch clicks, and that is all I get...no spin of the starter/generator. Just silence.. :( Most likely solenoid?? Or should I spring for both the switch and solenoid??
Unfortunately I did not have a tester at the cabin.
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
amesmotorsports
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 Marathon 3PG woes

I had the same problem with my 89 3pg, I put a new coil, did the hei conversion, new solenoid, voltage reg, new carb, new wire, I have a new fuel pump that I have not put on yet but will do so. compression is at 110. let me know what you find out
amesmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Obviously without a DMM it'll be hard to pin the electrical problem easily - on these old Marathons, though sometimes it's as easy as pulling all your grounds and cleaning them up good. The running issues could be due to a bad ground (if the main ground is corroded anywhere or intermittent, the cart will try to find ground through a cable or wherever it can find it, causing misfires, weak spark, etc - it's relatively common) ... Add in the "no starter" thing and that's where I would personally start (not to mention it's a free, easy troubleshoot) ...

Jumping the terminals manually on the solenoid *after* doing the above maintenance on the grounds will tell You if it's bad or if You need to look elsewhere, keep us posted and I'm sure You'll get some pointers as You go along.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
ironman25
Not Yet Wild

I have a 94 2 stroke that I have to push to get to take off. The motor turns when you step on the throttle but usually won't take off with out a push. Someone please help. It is A marathon by the way
ironman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman25 View Post
I have a 94 2 stroke that I have to push to get to take off. The motor turns when you step on the throttle but usually won't take off with out a push. Someone please help. It is A marathon by the way
Check the other thread You started, I gave You a place to start !!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
RxGuy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. I will keep you posted. Makes it tough when the cart is "up north" and goes on the fritz. Won't be back up there for a couple of weeks, so be patient . :)
Old 05-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
redcloud
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman25 View Post
Check both drive and driven clutches. If dirty, loose or bad parts you can have a problem of clutches moving properly.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
redcloud
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxGuy View Post
Thanks for the replies. I will keep you posted. Makes it tough when the cart is "up north" and goes on the fritz. Won't be back up there for a couple of weeks, so be patient . :)
Check the fuel pump well as you may have a bad diaphram thus blowing gas.
Also for the start problem do a complete ground check for frame and engine block connections along with good connection to ground from the battery and don't forget to check the poss wiring.poss.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
RxGuy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
Check the fuel pump well as you may have a bad diaphram thus blowing gas.
Also for the start problem do a complete ground check for frame and engine block connections along with good connection to ground from the battery and don't forget to check the poss wiring.poss.
Thanks redcloud, I already have a fuel pump on the way. Just for the heck of it I ordered a solenoid and accelerator limit switch too. I have the DMM packed to go also.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
RxGuy
Not Yet Wild

Put the new fuel pump on, didn't help. Was pulling my hair out. As a last resort, pulled the muffler off to see if it was clogged or restricted in some way and voila started it up...it was noisy as heck, but it took off like a scalded bunny. So it was a plugged up muffler. Never thought it would be the muffler, I had BBQ'd it when I was in the process of reconditioning the cart a while back.

Thanks again for all your help

Hope this helps you Ames...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO