lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
aauman
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Voltage reducer question 05 precedent

Ok, I finally upgraded from my ez-go marathon to a 05 precedent. So far its stock besides the the rear flip seat and the 2ga cable set I made for it. I am going to add a cd player with 4 speakers and sub/amp. Question is, do I need to get a large 30amp voltage reducer to power my electronics or can I get a seperate 12v battery for the electronics and get a smaller 48v voltage reducer and use it to charge the 12v battery? also what is the biggest tire/wheel combo I can put on my cart without a lift? Its only used on the road and I like large rims and low profile tires. Thanks in advance
aauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage reducer question 05 precedent

I would go with a seperate 12 volt battery because this will cut the static from cart operation alot. If you mount battery and associated wiring and speakers and amps as far as possible from battery box, motor area this also helps cut almost all unwanted static buzzing etc. I know many owners use flat area at front of battery box as speaker location but I feel that there will be more bad sound picked up at that location? As I talk about in my posts I use a handicap scooter battery because its small 7"X5.5"X7" and compact, sealed ( can be mounted in any position ) deep cycle. For a long time I just threw mine in glove box and ran wires through drain hole to dash mounted switches. Now I have it mounted over the top of front suspension on my DS. I added a marine power outlet ( higher amp rated ) on dash and by adding a power plug in adapter to my 12 volt auto charger its easy to charge. ( ONE THING ABOUT THIS BATTERY BEING SEALED IT NEEDS LOWER THAN NORMAL 10-20 AMP CHARGE RATE. My charger has a 2 amp selection switch that I use that and it only needs a few hours to recharge my battery.
The largest tire wheel combo without lift is low profile 20" tires with 10" wheels. Depending on spring condition even then you might get some rubbing on inner body rear splash guards?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
txaggie94
Not Yet Wild

Where do you get the scooter battery you are talking about?
txaggie94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I get mine from a local handicap scooter dealer. The battery can be gotten from most battery suppliers the number is UB 12350, but I find that the 35 amp hour rating is lower than handicaps 45 amp hour?
Old 03-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
pharewayphred
Not Yet Wild

Old Mec, I tried to send you a related email the other day on wiring this , I'm still a little wet behind the ears and not sure it got through.
pharewayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
txaggie94
Not Yet Wild

I know this might be a dumb question, but do i just go buy a regular 12 volt battery charger for this?
txaggie94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

PHAREWAYPHRED-- I answered your message in detail 9 March 2011 at 1:16 PM Check your private message file. If you dont find let me know and I will send it again.
TXAGGIE94-- I use a multi rate of auto charge unit it has 12 volts at 2 amps, and 10 amps with switch on front. Its a cheap Habor Freight unit that works just fine. The reason for less amps charge I talk about in an earlier post above.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

I installed my stereo under the dash using a universal under dash auto mounting box. I installed my 2 speakers in the area beneath the seat facing forward. I did have to do a little cutting in the battery box to get them to fit but it was quick and easy with a dremmel tool and I didn't have to cut enough to compromise the battery box at all. I wired in a hidden antenna between the underbody and the cowl cover, it was designed for use inside the fairing of a Harley Davidson motorcycle. I just wired it for power to the 12v hot wire behind the dash. I looked at installing a reducer and even bought one, but never used it. This will probably cause some long term, premature issues with my 4th battery and then the pack but my pack is a few years old already and still okay so far. When I need new batts, I'll probably look into doing something different.

There aren't many radio stations in my rural area to pick up but it does okay. But I bought it mainly to plug an ipod into anyway. I don't have any noticeable static at all and, even with only 2 speakers, it sounds great. Neighbors are always surprised at how good it sounds being a golf cart system with only 2 speakers and no sub. It exceeded my expectations when I bought the parts to do the install.

SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
aauman
Getting Wild

Club Car

I would like to mount the receiver to the underside of the roof. I want two speakers in the dash facing the driver and two between the front and rear seat facing up. The sub will be down firing under the backseat. I will use the rest of the space behind the dash for the amp, sealed battery and mp3 hookup. I think I will put a 10amp voltage reducer to the sealed battery but have it switched so its not on while the system is on and causeing the dreaded whine. A simple relay could shut it off if the radio was on and the rest of the time the cart was in use it would be charging the sealed battery. Does anyone know where to get an overhead mount for just the receiver on a 05 precedent? What about dash options without three doors? So I could put Speakers up there? Sorry for the long post but thanks in advance. I love this place!
aauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Cinrock
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

See some more info here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-club-car.html
Cinrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car