lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #1
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Another 36 volt conversion question

Helping another camper from my campground. The cart in question is a 36 volt resistor cart that he believes a 1985 model DS. The cart is lifted with a long travel kit and huge tires. Anyway, he bought the cart used with new 6 volt Batteries Plus branded batteries. His complaint is the cart will barely reverse, and can not climb any hills in the campground.

Once I got involved I noticed several batteries were connected reverse polarity, all the cables were loose, all wires of various gauges were used to cobble it together over the years, and the charge wire of the charge receptacle was not connected in the correct location. We sorted the battery polarity, tightened connections and corrected the wire routing for the charge receptacle. The cart was better, but slow. A pack voltage check put the pack at 34 volts. He was able to drive it to his site for recharge. Needless to say it did not run very long after the recharge. I suspect the batteries may be badly unbalanced due to the reverse polarity. I plan on checking that next weekend.

Anyway he might be interested in upgrading the drive system, not being familiar with the 36 volt cart conversions, whats the best route to go? I read that dropping in 6 new 8 volt batteries will not work, is that true? If he put a new 48 volt pack in, what other upgrades would be required without replacing everything? What would be the best bang for the buck upgrade? Could he keep it 36 volt and just upgrade motor and cables to achieve his goal of just driving it up hills?

Interested in what everyone has to say and their experiences with their 36 - 48 volt conversions. Thanks!
The Big Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Another 36 volt conversion question

Lots of options in regards to upgrading. 36->48 is one, an electronic upgrade to 48 is another, but I would first get the pack straight and the cart running correctly as it should more than meet his needs for a campground cart. Those carts have been around a very long time and met the needs of a lot of people over the years.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Actually, I think that 48v dropped into a 36v resistor cart will work. 48v in a 36v controller cart would be a problem. NoleFan4Ever is right, though. If the original setup isn't getting things done then something is amiss.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
MWC "married w/ children"
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have a 90 DS 36v, and it is plenty fast for now. Plus I just used it three days ago and did three runs with 8-cement cinder blocks in it! It hauled them with no problem even onto my lawn area. This morning the cart still read 36.6 And all is original for the drive train. The old carts are like tanks. LOL
MWC "married w/ children" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Weezy View Post
Helping another camper from my campground. The cart in question is a 36 volt resistor cart that he believes a 1985 model DS. The cart is lifted with a long travel kit and huge tires. Anyway, he bought the cart used with new 6 volt Batteries Plus branded batteries. His complaint is the cart will barely reverse, and can not climb any hills in the campground.

that is the downfall of resistor carts ….not made for that at all....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

One reason his reverse is weak is because these old resistor carts draw 36v in forward and 18v in reverse. Verify this by identifying 2 battery positive cable connections from the bottom F&R terminals. 1 goes to the main battery positive, this is 36v. The other (originally a green cable, goes to the + battery terminal in the middle of the pack. This yields 18v for reduced reverse speed (an early clubhouse safety feature)
A redneck fix I've seen used is to disconnect the 18v connection from the pack and reconnect it to the other F&R terminal where the 36v positive is coming in right next to it. This way it has 36v in forward and reverse.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #7
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have my reverse at 24 volts....36 is a little fast in reverse with the kids riding it...
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #8
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

He was told by a golf cart shop to move the reverse battery cable from the #3 battery to the #4 battery for a little extra power in reverse, which was done before we straightened out the wiring. When I say this thing was slow in reverse, I meant it would barely move under it's own power. After we straightened out the wiring reverse speed was much improved.
The Big Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car