lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default precedent light kit, Do i need a reducer?

2010 precedent, with six 8 volt batteries. This cart is a excel cart, number starts with "PH".

Since this is a fleet cart, this is my question:

I want to add a light kit. I understand that i need to buy a wiring harness/bucket kit. BUT do i also need to buy a voltage reducer, since I have 8 volt batteries?

Or will the bucket/wiring harness feed 12 volts to my lights without me having to also add a reducer?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: precedent light kit, Do i need a reducer?

. . . with 6 8v batteries, with no factory installed reducer, there is no way to provide 12v to your accessories unless you add/install a 48-12v reducer yourself . . . with no reducer, you can only provide 8v, 16v, 32v or 48v to your 12v lights, depending which positive battery terminal you connect the "hot" wire from lights to . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

ok thanks for your time and knowledge.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
jantrree
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you buy an afermarket light kit from someone like MadJax or others, you will need a 16V-12V reducer that plugs into the factory harness or you can get a 48V-12V reducer. I have a 2010 precedent I2L Excel, serial number starts with PD, and it has the madjax light kit. You have to install the bucket harness and the reducer. You can check the installation instructions at: http://www.mymadjax.com/file/BucketH...all2011Rev.pdf. The plug and play voltage reducer is here: http://www.diygolfcart.com/Club-Car-.../volt-0011.htm. It plugs right into the factory harness.
jantrree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

I would go with the 48v to 12v reducer. IMO...It is better to pull from the entire pack than just 2 batteries. Pulling from only 2 batteries could effect the consistency of the pack over time depending on the amount light usage.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Laser
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Here's a follow up question: if I plan to wire in 12v lights and I have four 12v batteries, and if I plan to practically never use the lights (emergencies only), is there any harm in just wiring them to one battery? If not, which battery in the series gets nominated?
Laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobogez42 View Post
I would go with the 48v to 12v reducer. IMO...It is better to pull from the entire pack than just 2 batteries. Pulling from only 2 batteries could effect the consistency of the pack over time depending on the amount light usage.
Agreed. If you are gonna buy a converter, go with 48-12, not 16 to 12. It may cost a little more, but well worth it in the long run. Put a switch on it, so it's not on all the time.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
jantrree
Gone Wild
Club Car

I agree 48V is the best option. Club car has a plug and play 48V-12V converter for the precedent, part no. 102553102. TahoeDawgZ71 hooked me up on where to get one. Thanks so much David. I just installed this afternoon. It was very easy. I've attached a pic of what you get in the kit. The converter just plugs into the wiring harness between the 12 pin connectors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (168.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
christpher7
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hello, where would one go to find the plug and play 48V-12V converter for the precedent, part no. 102553102.. Just finished installing lights on a 07 and was looking for one. Thanks
christpher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
jantrree
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by christpher7 View Post
Hello, where would one go to find the plug and play 48V-12V converter for the precedent, part no. 102553102.. Just finished installing lights on a 07 and was looking for one. Thanks
Check with TahoeDawgZ71. He can get tell you where to get one. I am also sure any club car dealer can. But check with him first. He is the Club Car man.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car