lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
nicholaspr
Not Yet Wild

Cool Help! Need added speed

I have a 1999 club car DS model electric acrt. It is a 36 volt system. It runs great and all, but seems extremely slow (especially uphill (of course)). What can I do to speed it up. Dont need anything extremely fast, just a few more MPH I would say it is only getting about 6-10MPH now and would like at least 16-20> Any ideas. Cheaper the better. Thanks
nicholaspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Help! Need added speed

Welcome to BGW!!
Have you used the search option here yet? It's great for finding information like battery maintainance and troubleshooting tips .
Can you give us a history of your batteries? Have they been maintained?
Have you had them load and hydro tested to determine if they are the reason for your slow speed. Condition and size of the cables and connections play an important part in the carts speed as well.

crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
nicholaspr
Not Yet Wild

I just bought the cart about two months ago. The guy seemed pretty knowledgeable and on top of maintenance. Bats are about two years old. saifd he had them load tested right before i bought it and bats were great. I am new to golf carts (owning and maintenance) and learning as I go.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaspr View Post
I just bought the cart about two months ago. The guy seemed pretty knowledgeable and on top of maintenance. Bats are about two years old. saifd he had them load tested right before i bought it and bats were great. I am new to golf carts (owning and maintenance) and learning as I go.
He aint all that if it is only runing 6 to 10 mph.
I seem like a nice guy to the girls at the bars until I..................nevermind.

Have the Batteries tested or pick up a good quality numeric (not the color coded one) Hydrometer and learn to use it to give yourself a good starting baseline for troubleshooting the speed issue.
Your batteries are the heart of your cart.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
nicholaspr
Not Yet Wild

I got ya. The speed is just a guess. I am going to hook up my GPS and test it for speed tomorrow. What should a stock cart run.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

mY 97 DS with the 36V system was running at 12-13 mph. tops.
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
nicholaspr
Not Yet Wild

turns out I was pretty close by guestimating. I just clocked the cart with my GPS and it does 8-9 mph on a flat surface. Any ideas besides the bat or cables?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Still could be a few things but you need to make sure you're not pushing a rope up a hill by having your batteries checked. hate for you to do all of this work to find an issue with a bad cell or battery. What size are the cables?

Anyhooo, depending on the controller, it could have speed settings on it, I'm just not that familiar with sparkies to give much knowledge. Could be simple as motor brushes, one bad cable causing resistance, tire air pressure, make sure your potbox is going to WOT with the pedal floored. With any troubleshooting involving the drive, raise the rear wheels and put on jackstands for safety.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
D8WKND
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

There is a speed setting from 1 to 4 that a dealer can change for you. Do you know what yours is at? Mine was a #1 and it was extremely slow. I had the dealer change it to #3. To get #4 the dealer said you need to buy a chip for $75.

My cart is now much faster and can climb my steep mountain driveway. I have ordered an after market motor - Plum Quick. It should be here next week.
D8WKND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
ClubMan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Electric Motors Inc. out of Ft. Wayne IN. Up grade to 4 gauge wire I have a 2001 coil resister club car that does 23 MPH, torque not bad either. wont pull house down but I can race donuts around one real quick. They re-wind motor and set it up for two stage speed / Torque. No kidding if interested let me know I'll get you the info you can Call Chuck or Andrea they will let you know everything
ClubMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car