lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
erikjes
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO Textron 36 Volt Battery Charger will not charge

Went to charge my EZGO cart and noticed that the ammeter on the charger had not moved as normal. Also no hum like I usually get. Checked extension cord, wires inside cart and saw nothing amiss. Took off top of charger, cleaned, reassembled and still nothing on ammeter and no hum. gauge does not budge. Seems like charger is dead. Does this mean charger is shot or something else? Cart is 4 years old.

Thanks for your help.

Cliff
erikjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: EZGO Textron 36 Volt Battery Charger will not charge

Welcome to the forum erikjes..................

Did you check the fuse or reset button? (whichever it has)

Has the cart sat for a long while?

More information please.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
greenstreet
Not Yet Wild

dont worry it is an easy fix. the ammeter is shot all u need to do is replace it. replacing it is fairly self explanatory, take the top of the charger off and there will be a couple nuts to unscrew in the face plate of the charger and two inside the charger unscrew them slip the nem ammeter in screw them back on and you should be set. dont put the top back on until you test it first if it still doesnt charge there is a fuse attached to the ammeter that may need to be replaced also. if you need any more help let me know.
greenstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Its not your Ammeter. If your charger is not humming it is simply not coming on at all. Most of the time when a charger doesn't come on its either a bad connection or your batteries are too low for the charger to kick on. The charger has to sense around 28 or so volts to come on.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
erikjes
Not Yet Wild

Folks, thanks so far for the info, but I'm still out of business. Regarding your questions, I, along with a more adept neighbor than me, have examined at depth the charger unit and find nothing which resembles a reset button or a fuse. It definitely does not hum as normal, and the batteries in the cart still have about 1/2 charge left per the cart meter and it runs fine.

I've checked all charger and cart connections and find nothing loose or with a bad appearance???

Any further suggestions will be appreciated. Eventually, I guess I need to take the charger to a shop.

Thanks again,

Cliff
Old 08-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

If the 36 volt system or Battery pack, has less than 28 volts, the charger will not turn on and charge.

Get a volt meter and check the battery pack for whatever voltage the total pack has. Check it at the main Postitve and the main negative. Also check it for the same voltage at the charger connection on the outside just under the seat.

Let us know.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
erikjes
Not Yet Wild

Folks, thanks for your help. Took it to dealer finally. Power Board Module was bad and had to be replaced. Tech said it looked like it had gotten wet and shorted out.

Ouch!

Cliff
Old 10-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
Bruce-Ohio
Not Yet Wild

I had same problem - voltage read 36 at the terminals but charger would not start. They replaced the board (other than the tranformer there is noting else to do) and that took care of the problem. It looks pretty straight-forward to replace the board, assuming you can obtain one.
Bruce-Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO