lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Speed Sensor 2003 48v - Pathway

Does anyone know anything about speed sensors for a 2003 IQ 48v (Pathway). My cart suddenly began running at 1/2 speed and, for a variety of reasons including forum searches, I suspect a bad speed sensor (voltages are all good, individually and across the pack, on 6 month old batteries). I can't seem to find a replacement speed sensor for this year cart. I called a local Club Car dealer and he believes he can get one BUT had the following question; "Is the motor a GE (General Electric) or the other type?" Essentially, if the motor is GE he needs to order me a certain speed sensor but if it's the other type of motor then he must order a different type. Sorry, I am not sure what he said when he described the other, non-GE motor (Advanced Motor maybe?)

The cart is currently about 100 miles away so I am not in a position to go and physically check the motor to see what type of speed sensor I need. I am hoping that someone on the board knows what type of motors were installed on Pathways. These are the carts that Club Car produced along with GM for street-legal use. I am sure that the motor is stock. I found a website that seems to imply that Yamaha 2003-up G-22s and Club Cars with Advanced Motors have the same speed sensor. Can this be true?

Is there any way to tell what type of motor I have without seeing it? Can anyone help out with what speed sensor I need?

Thanks in advance.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Speed Sensor 2003 48v - Pathway

I may be able to help you fix this one take it off and take a picture with your phone and let us see it.

Most electric motors are using a hall effect device

there are two basic types,
1. bipolar (or latching) this type comes stock in 2006 club car and others but this is what I have and have done testing on. The bipolar device needs both north and south magnets to change state.
on mine there are three wires Red, Black and Green. Red can be anything from 4 to 24 volts, Black is ground and green is output.

How to test
you can hook up 12 volts to the red and black wires put a 4.7k resistor from red to the green wire put you meter leads on the black (ground) and green (output) wire then take a small magnet and wave it over the sensor if one side does not work flip the magnet over and try again. you will see the meter voltage go up using one side of the magnet ( latch up), and go down if the magnet is turned over (latch down).

2. the second type is unipolar which means it senses one side (or pole) only, they can be flipped over and made to sense the other pole. so its north or south only.
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

there is a writeup on this list ( for club car) on how to fix these sensors and gives a part number for the hall effect device, almost any bipolar (or latching) device will work the size is the main factor as most have the same voltage needs and output.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I made the drive to the cart today, removed the sensor and took some pics. Of note when the sensor was removed, the lead that fastens to the "circle" that clips to the motor didn't seem like it was flush. That said, trying to make it flush was futile. Also, the magnet is cracked (all the way too). This may well have occured when I popped the magnet out though.

Attached are three pics of the speed sensor. The first is the sensor fully assembled. The second is of the sensor dissassembled; the lead, the circle that clips to the motor, and the magnet. The third is a look inside the connector. The pics aren't great but should work.

Even though my cart is a 2003, this sensor sure looks like the same sensor that is listed for 2004 and up in parts catalogs.

Gaminde, you seem to have some great insight into speed sensors. Any thoughts?

Last question, does a new speed sensor come with a new magnet? I am assuming that it wouldn't be a good idea to put the cracked magnet back in.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATT70739.jpg (22.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg ATT75930.jpg (22.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg ATT78207.jpg (20.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 05-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok there is some similarity in the sensors (older Club Cars) I have attached some pictures of one that im repairing. Does this unit just push in and have six tabs on it. Magnet will need to be replaced, does it come with the unit not sure they do have a kit for twice as much. This unit may be fixable. can you take a picture of the other side of the black circle
Old 05-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

here is the other side of that unit I have not epoxied it yet but it has a new hall effect sensor installed.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Is the wire harness broken off ? or does it unplug from the black plastic end cap ??
Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Gaminde, thanks for sticking with me on this one. Attached are some addtional pics, one of the front of the "circle" one of the back of the "circle" and the other of the leads that clips to the circle. Interestingly, this whole until smells like burnt electrical components so I do think that this is my issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATT49556.jpg (68.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg ATT83510.jpg (66.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg ATT55741.jpg (66.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

cc-102265801 magnet 31.00
cc-102265601 speed sensor 128.00

magnet not sure of shaft size and how many magnets your unit has 4 or 8 per ring

or you can fix it for 10.00, if you can solder
Old 05-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

testing
put 4 to 24 vdc to the red+ and black- leads, a resistor from red to green 4.7k almost anything will work, meter leads on black- and green and wave a magnet arround the little tip at the opposite end of the wires if nothing then bad. use both polls of the magnet.

sure does look the same and the smell is a giveaway but why did it burn out there really should not be a lot of power going through this to smoke it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car