lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
stewyracer
Not Yet Wild

Default DCS solenoid will not activate

I have a 1995 DCS and I cannot get the solenoid to click. I first changed the solenoid and then changed again. When I jump the positive side big terminal to the controller side the cart runs fine. But I can't get the solenoid to activatewhen everything is hooked up correctly. It has to be something simple I just cant see it. B+to battery side of solenoid, two red wires to battery side of solenoid, Blue wire to battery side of little terminal of solenoid, Yellow, Red, White to controller side little terminal of solenoid, controller side of solenoid is hooked to A2 on controller and other wire to motor. Please help
stewyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DCS solenoid will not activate

It sounds like the solenoid is connected right. Do you have a meter to check to see is you are getting 36v to the activation posts? Did you replace the DCS resistor board also?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

If it turns out the solenoid is bad, I have a White Rodgers 36v solenoid I'll sell ya cheap
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
stewyracer
Not Yet Wild

I do have a meter and I am gettin 37.9 volts to the small post but i did not change the resistor board but I do not think that is the problem because the solenoid is not activating. I tried it with another solenoid from a DCS cart that is workink fine and it would not make the soleniod click in this cart. The same setup works great in the other cart.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you have 36v at the activation posts then the solenoid should engage or it is bad? did you put your test leads on the 2 small solenoid terminals and read 36v? Or did you read 36v between a battery post and the sm. sol. term. ? Because if they are both pos or neg from the battery & reading 36v that is the problem there....
Old 03-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
stewyracer
Not Yet Wild

I did not put both leads on each side of the sm sol terminals just from the battery to each sm post. If i have 36v at both sm terminals what does that mean?
Old 03-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
stewyracer
Not Yet Wild

if it has 36v at each sm terminal then wouldn't that mean the solenoid is always activated and the cart sould move, but it doesn't. only time the cart will move it when I jump the two large terminals on the solenoid.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewyracer View Post
I did not put both leads on each side of the sm sol terminals just from the battery to each sm post. If i have 36v at both sm terminals what does that mean?
It means that the solenoid is not being turned on...but you already know that!

The solenoid requires 36 volts on one small post and 0 volts (or nearly) on the other post to be energized....
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The solenoid is a big switch at the big posts.
The 2 small posts are the activation circuit. when positive is present at 1 small post & negative is applied to the 2nd post you can hear the contacts click and there will be continuity at the big posts...(not there before = off, continuity there now = on)

If you have 36v at the 2 small posts between the pack and the posts then you have something connected wrong. Remove all wires from the negative side of the switch... (blue or black wire) Test the blue wire. It should have nothing until the peddle is pressed then NEG 36v when the peddle is pressed. It should be on a small terminal by itself. The other side should have 36 POSITIVE when the key is on and cart in gear. This is the usual solenoid activation sequence.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
stewyracer
Not Yet Wild

OK here is the latest The Blue wire to one side of the small terminal on the solenoid is not giving the solenoid a negative charge. I can jump from the negative battery to the side with the blue wire and the solenoid activates when I turn on the key and put the forw/rev swich in gear. so my question is why would the blue wire coming from the controller not give it the right negative charge, and another question why can I not leave the jumper from the battery neg to the solenoid in place and just run it. and last WHY DO I NEED A SOLENOID, what good is it why not just jump the two large terminals and go.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO