lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
afousek
Not Yet Wild

Default Painting top with Krylon Fusion.....few questions

I'm thinking about painting my EZ GO's top using the Krylon Fusion for plastics. One problem I have is that the color that I prefer is not available in the Fusion-type, only the regular Krylon spray paint, etc. What are my options?

I saw an earlier thread about using Fusion for a base coat, then painting over that with the regular Krylon in the preferred color. Will this definitely NOT work?

If that's not an option, how else would I get the top painted in the color that I prefer (which is PURPLE by the way)?

IF I have to stick with a color that is offered in the Fusion-type, I would use ORANGE. If I go this route, would it be preferred to top off the ORANGE with the Fusion CLEAR coat? Is this mainly used as a protectant?

Forgive me ignorance, but I am a novice when it comes to paint, especially on plastic.

Bottom line is.....I've got a 2003 EZ GO with an orange body that I'd like to complement with either an orange or purple top. Worst case, I'll probably just paint the top black (and hope that it won't look like a big pumpkin)!

I'm new to this board.....thanks in advance for your replies!
afousek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
wheelz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Painting top with Krylon Fusion.....few questions

I painted our shop cart kinda like that.. I used Bully Dog adhesion promoter first them the Fusion color I wanted...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bulldog-adhesion-promoter.jpg (11.3 KB, 17 views)
wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
afousek
Not Yet Wild

One other scenario that I was thinking about......

Could I paint the top with a regular Krylon paint (not Fusion), and then top it off with the Clear Coat Krylon Fusion? Any chance the Fusion clear coat could "trap in" the regular paint?

Again, just taking a shot in the dark here.....thanks.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
raiderbowhunter
Not Yet Wild

My experience with painting plastic was on a four wheeler, so it is apples to oranges, but plastic all the same. I tried the combinations you have mentioned, but I had the best luck with the do it yourself spray on bedliner and then spray paint the color of your choice. Just make sure you do it in a well ventilated area
raiderbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
wheelz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderbowhunter View Post
My experience with painting plastic was on a four wheeler, so it is apples to oranges, but plastic all the same. I tried the combinations you have mentioned, but I had the best luck with the do it yourself spray on bedliner and then spray paint the color of your choice. Just make sure you do it in a well ventilated area
make sure you scuff the cart down before or it may not stick..
wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
afousek
Not Yet Wild

Well, being the novice painter that I am......I just think it's best that I not make it too complicated.

So, I think I'm just going to paint my top with Krylon Fusion Gloss Black.

Do you recommend that I use the clear coat Fusion on top of it? Is it entirely necessary?

My plan is to remove the top, wash it down good with hot water and Dawn, etc. Use an adhesion promoter?? Then paint. How many coats should I use?

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
golferjw1
Not Yet Wild

I did not use a clear coat, just two coats of wax and it has held up nicely. On my testing on the 5 gallon bucket before painting, the "clear" did not come out really clear, but it was a satin clear if I remember correctly. Read some of the painting threads about preparation, it is essential.
golferjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
Katshot
Getting Wild

FYI,
Krylon offers an orange in their Fusion line. It's called Pumpkin (safety) orange #2337.
Also, There's no presanding required when using the Fusion paint.
Katshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Smee
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I did up my whole buggy in krylon. I didn't use the clear on mine, but I did put a good silicone free glaze on before the wax. Sure came out shiney
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
69novaSS
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That bulldog is available in a spray also ,I used it on an old plastic car bumper before I painted it and the paint is still good 5 yrs
69novaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO