lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2019, 01:14 AM   #1
brandonavance
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 Club Car precedent brake issue with 6” lift

Purchased a Club Car Precedent with a 6 inch lift. known Brake cable issue on drivers side.

Troubleshot with TahoeDawgs great article All-Sports Rear Lift Kit Install "My Way"
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...8&share_type=t

and ended up buying a passenger side cable and installing on the drivers side but the issue continues.

Brake pedal is super loose, pressing down to the floor and hardly locking in place. Parking brake will not engage. Cables are not tight.

Driving fine, but when brake is pressed, one of every 5 times, will completely lock up and the cable becomes extremely tight. Tight as in I have to loosen the brake setup under the pedal, turn the cart to tow and then the cart is drivable again, but brakes are loose again.

Need help troubleshooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandonavance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2019, 02:58 AM   #2
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2010 Club Car precedent brake issue with 6” lift

Check your linkage assembly in brake box under fLoorboard. If that is excessively loose to begin with you’ll have issues. Next is check your cables and make sure they are mounted and secured properly all the way to drum. Next is check the adjustment on each drum. It sounds like you’ve got one drum very loose and one potentially tight. Jack up cart and see if both wheels rotate with same amount of light resistance or not. If needed jack up and remove each wheel and turn with your hands to feel amount of resistance. Lastly check the brake pedal assembly itself to make sure you have the proper action at pedal.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:24 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check the Ubolts on your rear axle, a common issue with some lifts that use a single Ubolt is the rear axle turning during brake which causes the cable to get tight.

Sometimes you can also feel the brake pedal "pulsating" as You press the brake and the axle starts to rotate.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #4
brandonavance
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 Club Car precedent brake issue with 6” lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownblue View Post
Check your linkage assembly in brake box under fLoorboard. If that is excessively loose to begin with you’ll have issues. Next is check your cables and make sure they are mounted and secured properly all the way to drum. Next is check the adjustment on each drum. It sounds like you’ve got one drum very loose and one potentially tight. Jack up cart and see if both wheels rotate with same amount of light resistance or not. If needed jack up and remove each wheel and turn with your hands to feel amount of resistance. Lastly check the brake pedal assembly itself to make sure you have the proper action at pedal.

The cables are connected to the drums fine. The issue is when sitting still I have configured the linkage to be fairly loose to regular to super tight; any way its setup; then when the cart is run and brakes pressed, the brakes lock up and the linkage tightens so much that the brakes won’t release. Locked in the back and brake pedal in a not pressed position.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your axle has rotated forward about 25degrees. This is your issue. Loosen but do not disconnect the u bolts holding the lift. Then rotate the entire axle / motor assembly towards the rear of the cart. Your rubber drum brake mechanism covers should be perfectly parallel with the ground yet yours are angled up. This is absolutely at the very least a cause factor of your issue. The 4 bolts holding the drum assembly to the axle should be parallel and perpendicular to the ground. Yours are far from that. Your axle has rotated. Fix that first.

Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Htownblue is correct. Your entire differential housing is rotated far too far forward. I just want to know how you did that. The lift blocks are supposed to sit down into the saddles where the leaf springs were bolted in factory configuration. I don't see these saddles on your axle tubes. Are they missing? Did you or somebody else grind them off? If you need axle tubes let me know.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:20 PM   #7
brandonavance
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Htownblue is correct. Your entire differential housing is rotated far too far forward. I just want to know how you did that. The lift blocks are supposed to sit down into the saddles where the leaf springs were bolted in factory configuration. I don't see these saddles on your axle tubes. Are they missing? Did you or somebody else grind them off? If you need axle tubes let me know.

Previous owner did that, interested in axle tubes if ya got some lying around.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:21 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonavance View Post
Previous owner did that, interested in axle tubes if ya got some lying around.

Yes sir. Call me tomorrow. 706-431-3917

TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car