lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
Eric2438
Not Yet Wild

Default Timing belt stretched ??

I have a 1998 ez go txt golf cart that I just bought, It is not running right, it coughs thought the carberator. When I picked it up, I could tell that gas had leaked into the oil, because it was over full and you could smell the gas in the oil. I bought a new carburetor, new fuel pump, new plugs, changed oil, I checked the valves, they was all on .004. I run a compresson check on both cyclinders, they was 160lbs each, cart fires right up, but it coughs though the carb, and I can see smoke or gas fumes coming out of the carb at times also. It will still spit just a little gas at times out of the front of carb also, I am just wondering if maybe the timing is off from a stretched belt if that’s possible. I have a video of the motor running and popping though the carb, but not sure how to post it. Any help appreciated
Eric2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2019, 09:32 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Timing belt stretched ??

Where did you buy the carburetor ? I hope not a $20 one ?
You can upload a video to YouTube and then post the link.
It could be many things causing this but first let us know if you bought one of those cheap carbs ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #3
Eric2438
Not Yet Wild

Yes, it was a cheap carb on eBay, that’s all I could find on there, I wanted a better one. I checked buggy’s unlimited website and didn’t find nothing for the 295, I read the 350 carb was jetted to big for the 295.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #4
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2438 View Post
Yes, it was a cheap carb on eBay, that’s all I could find on there, I wanted a better one. I checked buggy’s unlimited website and didn’t find nothing for the 295, I read the 350 carb was jetted to big for the 295.

Save your self a head ache and stay away from buggies unlimited. Carbs don't usually need replaced unless the shafts are worn out. Normally a good cleaning and maybe a new bowl gasket is all that is required.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:53 PM   #5
JRL
Gone Wild

You might check the valve lash. If you find the intake valves tight, do a leakdown on and see if you hear air escaping into the intake tract. Early engines (removeable exhaust manifold engines) had bad intake valves. The failing valves spit fuel into the airbox, which drains into the crankcase. Could be something else, loose wire, electrical fault or whatever. An educated guess is that if the belt's snug, and timed correctly, it's ok.
I should add that if the valves are tight, adjust them and THEN do a leakdown. Or run it and check for improvement. If they are are set correctly, still could be valve failure and someone adjusted them.
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:48 AM   #6
Eric2438
Not Yet Wild

I have already checked the valves, they are set on .004, I will try the leak down test.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I am going to take a guess and say your leak down test is going to be good with compression at 160 #s.

When you adjusted the valves you will see right away if the intake valves are starting to sink in head. More threads will be showing where the adjusting nut is.
Check your battery voltage to make sure it is at least 12.5 . More than once I have seen where a voltage regulator is bad and the battery have lower voltage and cause the spitting back thing.
Check you linkage good to make sure it is in sink like the manual says.

Stick another known good coil on it. I have had these aftermarket coils cause the same thing yet show good when testing according to manual.

The OEM carbs can be bought for around $100 plus shipping. Otherwise do as other poster said and remove that China version and do a good cleaning of the original one.

These timing belts can be adjusted. Remove rubber plug in timing cover. Loosen nut with 12mm socket and turn the engine over a few times by hand. Tighten the nut back and replace put rubber plug back in.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #8
Eric2438
Not Yet Wild

Thanks trig, when I get home tonight I am going to put put the original carburetor back on it. I just cleaned it good at work today, I do know that it didn’t cough though the carb with the original one, like it did with the china carb. The oringal carb was just spitting gas into air cleaner, that’s why I wanted to replace it. I haven’t checked my voltage regular, but I do know my battery is fully charged, because I keep a battery tender on it. I noticed when checking the valve lash, their wasn’t that many treads sticking up past the nut, but I can look again.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #9
Eric2438
Not Yet Wild

I have also made sure the carburetor flap wasn’t moving, before the micro switch on the petal clicked, my petal moves about 1/2 inch and switch clicks before the throttle plate moves. I also made sure the carb screw wasn’t holding the throttle plate open any either, it looks like it has the original coil on it, but not sure of that.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

You are probably good if all the threads were the same when adjusting the valves.
Do a good cleaning of the original carb. I actually got a torch cleaner the same exact size of the main jet that I push through to make sure it is clean. You just don't want to make it bigger, just clean.

Sounds like your battery charging is good but wanted to let you know that has fooled me a few times when working on these carts.

That linkage has to be right. I have a repair manual that shows how it should be.

This past summer I had a cart that was doing the same exact thing. It would shoot flames back out carb as soon as you would hit the gas from a stand still just like an intake valve was bad but it turned out to be a bad coil.

I over looked this problem as a new coil was on the cart. Yes one of those aftermarket. I just bolted the carb on and left the air box off to see what was going on. You can do that to test it.

I always keep a known good coil to test when I do run into this problem. You could slowly hit the pedal and it would not do it, only when hitting it to wide open quick.

You can google this issues and you will see many posts on these engines doing this. The updated MCI engines didn't seen to have the problems the Pre-MCI's had. You don't even have to choke those engines most of the time as they will fire right off.

I just don't like the MCI engines though. Just my take on this. In 2003-2008 EZGO came out with the so called updated MCI engines trying to make them better, maybe to meet emissions. Larger muffler, different ignition system also.

I do like these two cylinder Robbins pre mci engines that EZGO used from about 1991 until 2003. I think you will find most here agree.

Tags
1998 ez go txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO