lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing
Hunting and Fishing Post all your hunting and fishing experiences here.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
buscopat
Gone Crazy

Club Car

Default Hunter Ed Class

So my 10 year old daughter told me she wants to learn how to hunt.
I think that is kewl.
So she and I took her hunter ed course this weekend.
She passed with a 92%.
So now she wants to go shooting and hunting, but I told her she has to wait and now she is bummed.
I'll take her shooting this summer, and see how she does hunting in the fall.
Just an excited dad that she wants to hunt and shoot.
buscopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
madd matt
Taters...

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hunter Ed Class

I took mine when I was 10 also, they changed the law the same year... I had to be 12 for it to actually count. I was pretty bummed, but my dad took me anyway.
madd matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
BlackHornet
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

well you could always get a .22 and take her out shooting. just dont let her shoot in the air haha. I shot my first javelina when i was 5 with a .22 and then I had a single shot 20 gauge that I used to hunt birds every season. get her a small gun of her own and let her go out and shoot. if youre worried about her making a bad shot then take her bird hunting till she gets the feel for a gun. if you dont bird hunt then just take her in the woods with a .22 and let her shoot and have fun.
BlackHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscopat View Post
So now she wants to go shooting and hunting, but I told her she has to wait and now she is bummed.
I'll take her shooting this summer, and see how she does hunting in the fall.
Just an excited dad that she wants to hunt and shoot.
That is really cool. I started shooting an air rifle at about 10, even walked along with Dad pheasant hunting and carryied it. I was never a threat to the pheasants, but the sparrows were in grave danger. I think 10 year olds are made for BB and pellet guns.

One of our 2 daughters hunted, even took a deer with her bow but then she discovered boys and stopped hunting. A couple years ago we hog hunted but didn't have any success. Time sure flew, now she's 26 and expecting our 3rd granddaughter, first for her. Enjoy this time with your little lady, it is special for sure.

George
gstoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:59 AM   #5
buscopat
Gone Crazy

Club Car

We will be going to a shooting range in a week or two with a couple different 22s.
My problem is that she is left eye dominate, so she is shooting left handed, and all my rifles are right handed.
Either way we will have fun.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
LongbeardExpress
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I am also left eye dominant and right handed. I never realiazed it until I started shooting bows. You can train yourself to shoot with your weaker eye with out too much trouble. I now shoot with both eyes open unless shooting at long ranges. Unless she is fighting you, I would try to get her to shoot right handed for sake of gun availability.
I have a 4 year old little girl and a 12 year old not so little any more boy. Anna has been hunting with me since she was 3. I am color blind and she blood trailed a deer for me this year. How embarasing is it to be following a 4 year old through the woods to find your deer? I wouldnt trade it for anything.
My son also took the hunters ed course here when he was 10 along with a friend who goes hunting with us sometimes. He loved it. He has been hunting with me since he was 4 also. He got his first shotgun when he was 11 and killed 2 turkeys with it on his first shot at an animal. He could barely get his head back in the truck to ride home after that.

Ryan
LongbeardExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Ryan, funny you would say that. I taught a friend's 2 boys to hunt and fish and one of them had a terrible time shooting a shotgun. Turned out he was left eye dominant. I switched him to left handed and after a few shells he was breaking clay birds really well. After a few months he switched back to right handed and has shot great ever since. I guess knowing he was shooting with the weaker eye was all it took. He was about 12 at the time. Now he is a turkey hunter extraordinaire, though he'll miss the season this year deploying to Iraq in the marines.

Blood tracking was always my daughter's favorite part of the hunt. She brought her boyfriend once in high school blood trailing a deer I had shot instead of whatever he had planned.

I'm glad to hear you guys are taking your kids out hunting with you. There's something about the bond that forms between a father and son or daughter in the woods that cannot be forged any other way. The memories last long after they're out on their own.

George
gstoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
LongbeardExpress
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Tell your friend Thank You for his service.

Nothing beats the time you can spend with the kids in the woods. My son and I have had countless conversations in the woods that never would have happened whild playing nintendo or something else. Kids are going to find something to emmerse themselves into, as long as I can keep them pointed in the right direction, I will be content.

Ryan
LongbeardExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstoneberg View Post
Ryan, funny you would say that. I taught a friend's 2 boys to hunt and fish and one of them had a terrible time shooting a shotgun. Turned out he was left eye dominant. I switched him to left handed and after a few shells he was breaking clay birds really well. After a few months he switched back to right handed and has shot great ever since. I guess knowing he was shooting with the weaker eye was all it took. He was about 12 at the time. Now he is a turkey hunter extraordinaire, though he'll miss the season this year deploying to Iraq in the marines.

Blood tracking was always my daughter's favorite part of the hunt. She brought her boyfriend once in high school blood trailing a deer I had shot instead of whatever he had planned.

I'm glad to hear you guys are taking your kids out hunting with you. There's something about the bond that forms between a father and son or daughter in the woods that cannot be forged any other way. The memories last long after they're out on their own.

George
That was the big advantage to the Ithica feather weight model 37, had bottom eject.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
buscopat
Gone Crazy

Club Car

I forgot about the older Ithicas haveing the bottom eject.
A friend used to have a couple of those, they were always good 12 gauges.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing