lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
Rmvr53
Not Yet Wild

Default If its not the solenoid?.....

I was loading my 77? Sport Coupe on a trailer this morning. Drove it part way up and it quit like a circuit breaker or something disconnected. I found no loose wires or connections (cleaned them while I was there), but the solinoid now "rattles" when you depress the accelerator (rattles faster the further you push). Finding nothing loose, I replaced the solinoid and it still rattles. Battery voltage is 36.1 and with the charger plugged in its 43 so I dont think its battery. (it also rattles with the charger on which to me eliminates voltage).

The grade on the ramps was about 8-10% for a load.

what did I break? anyone with ideas?

thanks

Bill
Rmvr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: If its not the solinoid?.....

This is only a guess, but it could possibly be a resistor coil.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
Rmvr53
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO NO NO E-Z-GO! View Post
This is only a guess, but it could possibly be a resistor coil.
are these the coils at the back next to the motor under the fender?

Bill
Old 07-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

I don't know where they are located on those carts, but if it looks like a series of metal coils, then chances are they are your resistor coils.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Roady89 should log on later. When he answers this, you will have THE answer.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:16 AM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Re-check all your connections, and look for a broken coil. I have a 77 melex which is an ezgo clone. The soenoid rattles like that one time and it ended up being a wrong connection. Could you possiblly have gotten a cable mis-placed after it quit?
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:35 AM   #7
Rmvr53
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Re-check all your connections, and look for a broken coil. I have a 77 melex which is an ezgo clone. The soenoid rattles like that one time and it ended up being a wrong connection. Could you possiblly have gotten a cable mis-placed after it quit?
Front and rear of the solinoid no, pretty obvious via wires not moving where those went. The 2 small contacts I could have - forward small contact to key and rear to switch on comutator/wiper is how I hooked it up (thought it came off that way). All other connections were cleaned one at a time so those went back where they were. I did not touch the coils under the left rear fender when I did my cleaning. If they "look" ok, is there a resistance check I can do to confirm their condition? Is there a way I can check the motor to make sure something didn't happen there on the overload?...or is that mostlikely not an issue?

thanks all

Bill
Old 07-22-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Did you check the connections at the coils? Its either a bad/wrong connection or a broken coil. It wont be a motor issue.

What sounds like happened is the connection was already bad and getting hot or the coil was partially broken and when you loaded it the amps went up and took out the bad connection.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
Rmvr53
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Did you check the connections at the coils? Its either a bad/wrong connection or a broken coil. It wont be a motor issue.

What sounds like happened is the connection was already bad and getting hot or the coil was partially broken and when you loaded it the amps went up and took out the bad connection.
I didn't do anything with the coils other than acknowledge their presence so I'll check them and clean connections today.

thanks so much

Bill
Old 07-22-2007, 12:38 PM   #10
Rmvr53
Not Yet Wild

cleaned the connections on the coils plus checked them for continuity/breaks and found no problems ... other than it still does not run. Started re-cleaning all other connections just to make sure I didn't miss anything (done with a wire brush once already - but what the heck).

Direction OB1...your my only hope!!

Bill
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO