lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 09 precedent factory converter wire problem

Have an 09 precedent. Original owner. Came with a factory installed ( or dealer that sold it to me) 48 volt to 12 volt converter, and as I understand it, it is an "isolated" converter.

So this thing apparently always draws power ( always on ). I want to wire it so it only is energized, when the key is turned on.

I have a relay, like the kind in a powerdrive 2 charger ( 48 volt).

I want to know how to wire this relay in to only energize the converter when key is on.

My thinking is to cut into the #12 blue wire that is coming from the battery pack + ( after cutting the wire, I then wire each end on the load contacts of relay ).

Then, do I jump on to the green wire that is on the 2 wire key switch? I think I can tag off the green to the relay coil, then run a negative to the other line side contact of the relay?

Seems like that will work, and I don't think the small relay coil will ad any strain on the key switch wire?

Can someone confirm or direct me?

Thanks
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: 09 precedent factory converter wire problem

I have a relay wired to my key switch to power my converter. The key has no problem supplying power for the relay. Once you wire the relay to operate on the key switch, just take the blue wire you are talking about from the battery and connect it to one side of the load connections of the relay and then run a wire from where the blue wire WAS to the other side of the relay load connection.
That should take care of it. Also when you wire into the key switch make sure you use the wire that only has power when the key is on. You can use pack neg for the neg on the relay switching side. Hope this helps.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 09 precedent factory converter wire problem

yes it does help.
Thanks a lot for your input.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car