lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
cashipp
Not Yet Wild

Default 2009 Precedent onboard converter already??

I was told my 2009 Precedent may already have an onboard converter/reducer. I want to install a stereo but not sure if I need to buy a converter as well. I was told that my year Precedent already has an open 12v wire in the dash?? I have 6 8v batteries in my Precedent. Thanks for your time. Chris
cashipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
hanny
Getting Wild

Default Re: 2009 Precedent onboard converter already??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashipp View Post
I was told my 2009 Precedent may already have an onboard converter/reducer. I want to install a stereo but not sure if I need to buy a converter as well. I was told that my year Precedent already has an open 12v wire in the dash?? I have 6 8v batteries in my Precedent. Thanks for your time. Chris
if you find a 12volt power source behind the dash then YES,,,, you do have some sort of a convertor. No other way to get 12 volts out of 8 volt batteries that i know of
hanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
cashipp
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I appreciate the response. Will get the dash off and see.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
BeerBuggy
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Hanny, what did you find? I have an '09 and I havent heard that. I know my light kit came with a converter, but I would to know what you found.

thanks
BeerBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Would also like to know this
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Brian5117
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have a mid 2009 as well and I hooked up my light kit to two batteries (16V) in the bank. I had planned to get a converter/reducer since I plan on hooking up a radio in the future, so I would also like to hear if there's an answer to this.
Brian5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It's probably got the 16-12V reducer and not the 48-12V converter that you would want for a stereo. Look at your battery pack and see where the blue wire for the lights is plugged in. If it's plugged in to battery #1 positive it's got the 48-12. If it's plugged into battery #4 negative or #5 positive it's got the 16-12.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Brian5117
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Cashipp, does your cart already have lights installed or "extra" wires attached to the battery pack ? My '09 was stock so didn't have anything connected to the battery pack. I connected a basic light kit so I ran power to the battery pack myself utilizing the black terminal connector (neg) behind batt #4 I think and positive to the positive post on battery #5 (16V). I guess I could have connected the positive to the blue connector coming off batt #1 and the neg to the neg terminal of batt #2 (16V), but someone like Tahoe would have to say if it matters either way.

Im curious about your question about '09s already having an on board converter stock. I've never heard of that from my research on here. I think what Tahoe was saying is that if someone put it on, then you could tell if it was 48/12 based on where the wiring was connected to the batt pack. But I'm assuming if there was nothing connected to the batteries, then there is no converter (I.e. it's not somehow incorporated into the factor harness somehow). Again, just speculation on my part, but glad you asked the question.
Brian5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

No it does not have one from the factory. None of them do
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
cashipp
Not Yet Wild

Mine was stock with no lights; nothing behind the dash. Will have to buy a converter. Thanks all for your help..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car