lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
btyanke
Not Yet Wild

Default creeping around in a sepex cart?

I probably bought the wrong cart for my use but whats done is done. My question is when you guys say dont creep around in a pds what exactly does that mean. What if i have a long hill to go up and i hold it floored but it is only creeping along is that bad. I have an 2008 and put 20 tires on it. Just using it for hunting and most trips will be less than a half mile. But a quarter mile might be up a decent grade. Will my cart take that or should i be doing some upgrades. Im not concerned at all about speed.
btyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: creeping around in a sepex cart?

Creeping is when you are purposely holding back on the throttle input to keep the cart moving slowly.

Standing on the gas while the cart barely makes it up a long hill is another, different problem. Usually, a bigger controller, solenoid and cables will fix this problem. In cases where the terrain is very steep and or the load is very big and or the tires are very tall (anybody see a pattern here) a custom built high torque, low rpm motor may also be needed.
Scotty
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
cschafer71
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Scotty, what will happen to the motor if you are creeping around? Now that I have my big controller wires and wheels it seems I find myself creeping around more and more. Not all the time but more than originally. Got what I wanted speed and torque wise but don’t need it all the time.
cschafer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

The sepex motors build heat quickly. You just need to monitor how hot the motor is. I actually have motor temp in my speedo cluster so I can keep an eye on mine. The motor needs to stay under 200 degrees or you'll be buying another one.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
btyanke
Not Yet Wild

Hey i really like a the idea of a motor temp guage. I have 2008 pds where can i get one for that, thanks
btyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
The motor needs to stay under 200 degrees or you'll be buying another one.
Is that true? I've been looking for a good number. I know the insulation should be good to at least 180° C, but there's also bearing grease, and bearing tolerance issues. My ExRay manual says to set the alarm for 149 and danger to 167, so I did. If I can safely run it hotter, I will!
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Is that true? I've been looking for a good number. I know the insulation should be good to at least 180° C, but there's also bearing grease, and bearing tolerance issues. My ExRay manual says to set the alarm for 149 and danger to 167, so I did. If I can safely run it hotter, I will!
It's what I was told by Robby @ PQ. Obviously lower is better. I've not seen mine out of the 160's even running it super hard.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by btyanke View Post
Hey i really like a the idea of a motor temp guage. I have 2008 pds where can i get one for that, thanks
Check this thread on gauges.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
It's what I was told by Robby @ PQ. Obviously lower is better. I've not seen mine out of the 160's[COLOR="Red"] even running it super hard.
TerryH what does this mean, can you tell us what running it super hard means
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
TerryH what does this mean, can you tell us what running it super hard means
I'll give you both sides of the coin. I purposely ran it 10 miles at part throttle... about 15 mph just to see what would happen. I was bored to tears but the motor never got over 160. I ran it wide open...except for the curves...much more fun than the other test...keeping it right at 40 mph for 10 miles just to see what would happen. The temp topped out at 167. So my setup actually puts more heat in the motor at wide open throttle than part throttle which is backwards to what most people will tell you about a sepex but my setup is a bit out of the ordinary for a sepex cart. I suppose the motor pulling nearly 800 amps will build some heat.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO