lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Club Car Steering

Have any of you noticed...

That if you stand 1 foot in front of your CC, (gas or electric) look down on the wheels...
and turn the wheels hard to the right, mark it, (@ 75 degrees)
Then turn them hard to the left... that it turns harder (further) to the left (@ 83 degrees)...???

O.K. here's my dilemma...

I noticed that the back tires stick out farther then the front tires do!!!
(back tires, center to center... 3' 6" --- front tires, center to center 3' 0")
I decided I would get 2" spacers for the front to try to get them close to evenly spaced...

Here's some pics...

Before the spacer... (the front tire is in under the the wheel flare... the rear is out beyond it!)

A pic of the 2" spacer to prove I didn't buy the cheap BU ones!

and then, a pic AFTER the wheel spacer...

The main dilemma I'm having... is that if I'm riding and I turn the wheel to much to the left...
the steering wheel yanks out of my hands, and locks up HARD to the left!!! (it seems, almost 90 degrees!)

now... the tires aren't rubbing much... (just a little) or getting caught up on anything...
but stopped...I literally have to struggle to get the wheel back to where I can start driving again!

And it doesn't do it, turning right!

My question is... is there a way I can put some kind of "steering stop" in to keep this from happening???
(Keep in mind... I'm not a Welder/Fabricator!... but driiling and bolting I can do!)

Or... take off the spacers, and live with the old school hot rod look?

Any, and all input will be appreciated!

Thanks!!!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: Club Car Steering

I would loosen the steering box, turn the intermediate joint one tooth in the direction it needs to go (clockwise, I think) and then compensate it with the drag link off the steering box end to get it back in line with the steering wheel.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

I would check your rack end on your stearing gears(make sure its not too loose), and take the bellows loose, and throw some molly grease on the rack. Put bellow back on, see if having it better greased might solve the problem.

It almost sounds like a chewed up gear on your rack, when you get there it kinda freezes, and then to get it back on you have to push real hard, sometimes even push the tires by hand...
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I would loosen the steering box, turn the intermediate joint one tooth in the direction it needs to go (clockwise, I think) and then compensate it with the drag link off the steering box end to get it back in line with the steering wheel.

my concern is... would it "lock up" both ways then?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasetim View Post
I would check your rack end on your stearing gears(make sure its not too loose), and take the bellows loose, and throw some molly grease on the rack. Put bellow back on, see if having it better greased might solve the problem.

It almost sounds like a chewed up gear on your rack, when you get there it kinda freezes, and then to get it back on you have to push real hard, sometimes even push the tires by hand...
It's BRAND NEW Tim... (sorry... I forgot to mention it was my 07 Lynx!)

It won't do it without the wheel spacers... with them... it turns further!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

to me it sounds as though it is catching on something. turn it that way when parked and jack up the corner. it may make it obvious? My 98 was really close before i put the 2 inch plate on.

BTW BU dioes have some stops but I have NO esperience with them

http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/images/p0007778.JPG

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vertical View Post
to me it sounds as though it is catching on something. turn it that way when parked and jack up the corner. it may make it obvious? My 98 was really close before i put the 2 inch plate on.

BTW BU dioes have some stops but I have NO esperience with them

http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/images/p0007778.JPG

-Aaron
No it's not really rubbing or catching on anything...
I'm starting to think because of the wider "stance" the steering isn't designed or adjusted for that!
That's why I wanted to put in a stop so I can have the "best of both worlds"!

and ummm Thanks... but I would rather bolt a peice of flat Iron on, rather then buy something from BU...
at least I would know it would hold up better!

It looks like I'll have to take some pics of it this weekend to show what's happening...
Provided that the weather will let me!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #8
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post

my concern is... would it "lock up" both ways then?
It shouldn't. If there is that much difference in it now, then it should even out and not lock up either way.

I don't know where you got your spacers, but you may be able to send them back and get 1.5" or 1" ones.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO NO NO E-Z-GO! View Post
It shouldn't. If there is that much difference in it now, then it should even out and not lock up either way.

I don't know where you got your spacers, but you may be able to send them back and get 1.5" or 1" ones.
I'm starting to think that may be the way to go, is adjust the steering linkage...

But the Lynx still being under Warranty, and the Recalls they've had on the steering boxes...
I have "reservations" about adjusting the steering!

Right now... theres alot of "Toss Ups" for this winter...
Am I, and What Type of Lift kit I'm going to put on..
(3" on top of the 4", or... remove the 4", plate the frame together and put on a 6")

Sooooo.... when I do put a lift on it, will I need the $80.00 2" spacers at all!

I got the spacers from my dealer... he had 1" in stock, but I felt It wouldn't bring my wheels out far enough to be noticable... I didn't know that 1 1/2" spacers were available...
the 2" were the ones I felt would come closest to getting the front wheels out far enought to match the back

I'm just (kind of) looking for a "quick fix" until I figure out WTH I'm going to do!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

To clarify things a bit... There is little rubbing and NO binding...
The tires just turn too far turning to the left!

O.K.... here's a couple of pic's Left and right....

It's NOT as noticeable, as I thought it would be...

To the right...

And to the left... (which it locks up on...)

Looks the same... doesn't It???

But Here's the steering stop... full left (locked up)....

and, here is the steering stop, where the steering wheel won't get jerked out of my hands...

What I'd like to do is, bolt on an 1 1/2" flat steel extention to the steering stop, for now...
(at least until I'm ready to make the decision on what lift I'm going to get!)

Will it work???

Any opinions???
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car