lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
perryj
Not Yet Wild

Default Leaf Pack weatherproof Mounting Suggestions

I have been doing a lot of reading but have not got the mounting worked out yet.

I have started ordering the parts needed for the conversion and have the leaf batteries (14 Modules) but am concerned about water and dirt intrusion in the stock battery location under the seat. Normally my cart stays indoors but there are times, generally when camping, that it could be out in the rain. What are you guys doing to keep water away from all the critical components such as the BMS. Can I mount everything inside a box such as a modified tool box or is there a big heat factor I need to consider?
perryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
cricketo
Getting Wild

Default Re: Leaf Pack weatherproof Mounting Suggestions

The answer is yes :) Heat dissipation should be considered. One way to cheat is by using a metal (aluminum) box for mounting instead of plastic, and mounting the BMS in such way that the entire box becomes the heatsink. So literally you need to ensure surface to surface contact between any radiating elements in the BMS and the enclosure.

Second problem is condensation, which will happen when temperatures drop. I haven't figured out that problem completely - easiest way is not to use a completely air tight enclosure.
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryj View Post
I have been doing a lot of reading but have not got the mounting worked out yet.

I have started ordering the parts needed for the conversion and have the leaf batteries (14 Modules) but am concerned about water and dirt intrusion in the stock battery location under the seat. Normally my cart stays indoors but there are times, generally when camping, that it could be out in the rain. What are you guys doing to keep water away from all the critical components such as the BMS. Can I mount everything inside a box such as a modified tool box or is there a big heat factor I need to consider?
What kind of cart??
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

The stock battery holder on my EZ-GO TXT is "open" to all the elements from underneath. In fact, all the stuff under the seat is exposed from below.

When I upgraded to Lithium, I built a treated plywood box to help keep water away from the lithium batteries that are mounted in a steel box. I wanted the air to flow freely around the batteries (no contained enclosure) so I made the wood come up to about 3" or so below the seat. I also fastened a heavy plastic piece in the "back" to prevent the rear wheels from tossing any water or mud into the box.

It's worked like a charm.

I hunt in the rain off the cart and with the roof, and the seat as a shield, I've not had any issues with water infiltration into the box....or even the controller which has been mounted under the passenger side of the seat....like forever!!

Here's a pic of my battery "box." I hope this helps.

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium