lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
daharte
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Smile Grabbing brakes on 2009 Precedent

Just bought a lifted 2009 Precedent and the brakes were grabbing. When I would apply brakes it would lock up and squeal rubber.
I saw on forum that it was suggested to accelerate quickly in reverse and apply brakes. I did and they self adjusted and now work great.
Thanks to all of you posting these helpful hints
daharte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: Grabbing brakes on 2009 Precedent

I was gonna suggest the reverse trick when I saw the thread title, but when I read the post I saw you had done some homework.

Glad it's working and braking well!
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
daharte
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Brakes started grabbing again so I lifted front floor mat and adjusted the 2 nuts. It's working great now. Hope it lasts.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharte View Post
Brakes started grabbing again so I lifted front floor mat and adjusted the 2 nuts. It's working great now. Hope it lasts.
You might also want to check for axle twist. I read that your cart is lifted, and this is a common problem with lifted carts, the axle twists due to slight loosening of the U bolts and causes the brake cables to be stretched, therefore making the brakes lock up. The lifted carts section I believe has good reading on the subject.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
You might also want to check for axle twist. I read that your cart is lifted, and this is a common problem with lifted carts, the axle twists due to slight loosening of the U bolts and causes the brake cables to be stretched, therefore making the brakes lock up. The lifted carts section I believe has good reading on the subject.
X2!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
ltmoeller
Gone Wild

Also heavy duty springs will stop axle roll.Just my experience.
Tom
ltmoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
DJBlade
Gone Wild

Club Car

You will need to twist the axle backward. This will loosen the drivers side cable enough to stop the "locking up" of the brakes resulting in the drivers side locking up. It is done by loosening the u-bolts ( all 8 nuts ) and tightening the forward nuts more than the rear. This will tip the axle back, loosening the brake cable. If your lift kit only has 2 nuts per side this won't work for you. The only other option is to buy a passenger brake cable and use it on the drivers side since it is longer. Both of these we do when we do lift kit installs. More of the axle tip than the cable replacement since the tipping of the axle backward fixes the issue nearly every time. Your forward u bolts will have nearly twice the amount of thread hanging below the bolt. Hope this helps.
DJBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Another trick is to install a passenger side brake cable on the driver's side. The passenger side cable is just long enough to prevent the touchy brake problem. This problem is common on lifted carts and my fix would not apply to stock carts.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
daharte
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

When you say adjust the ubolts are you talking about on rear or front axle? I have the 8 nuts on each side.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharte View Post
When you say adjust the ubolts are you talking about on rear or front axle? I have the 8 nuts on each side.
He's talking about the rear U bolts. They can get loose and cause the axle to twist, but I doubt that is your problem....You most likely have lifted beyond the brake cable limit and that is causing your touchy brakes. I would look into getting more play in the left brake cable, if your rear U bolts are tight.

Was it your left tire that was locking up?
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car