lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2016, 05:01 AM   #1
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Default Any Batteries That Don't Self Discharge?

I have a set of four year old "Black" Trojans that were installed when I bought my '07 PDS TXT four years ago. They have served me well and are still in very good condition. My problem is that during summer weeks it is parked in a parking area with other carts where there is no electrical for the charger. I load it up when I get to the lake and drive it about a 1/4 mile to my houseboat where I charge it. Before I leave I charge it up at the boat then park it in the parking lot. The issue is that often it is weeks between visits. I have left it 3 weeks with no issue but last year after leaving it for 4 weeks I barely had enough power to get to the boat.

I have explored some type of solar charging but nothing I found was feasible. One thought was to find some other type of battery type like maybe AGM or Gel that might have less self discharge. Going to a gas cart would resolve this issue but I wanted to stay electric if possible.

BTW, I have a ScottyB DVM on the cart. My cart is 36v. At what SOC reading would the cart be unable to move?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rick
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Any Batteries That Don't Self Discharge?

Lithium batteries don't self discharge (well they do but at a very low rate!).
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A quick search for 36v solar charger found units on eBay for less than $300
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

All batteries self discharge. Secondary (rechargeable) batteries self discharge faster than primary batteries and some chemistries self discharge faster than others.

In the lead-acid arena, wet-cell batteries self discharge faster than AGM and gel-cell batteries, but not much.

The warmer the batteries are, the faster the self discharge.

You've got a couple of things working against you.

Trojan Black-Box batteries are only 210AH to start with so your battery pack has nearly 7% less storage capacity then the standard 225AH 36V battery pack to start with.

The batteries are left in a partially discharged state for weeks at a time, so the plates are more sulfated than they would have gotten in 4 years if they had be kept fully charged when not in use.

-------------
With a PDS cart, the controller's electronics are powered up and drawing power from the battery pack unless the Run/Tow switch is in the Tow position.

Also, unless a battery cable is disconnected, the filter capacitors are kept charged, which also draws power from the battery pack.

Therefore, when cart is left in the parking area the Run/Tow switch ought to by in the Tow position and one of the battery cables disconnected.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
A quick search for 36v solar charger found units on eBay for less than $300
I thought I looked there but will take another look. The ones I found with panels were about $1k plus. And I have an issue with theft possibility since the cart is parked in a public park lot during the week.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Lithium batteries don't self discharge (well they do but at a very low rate!).
I found some but they were like, $750 per battery.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Like JohnnieB said, get yourself a MAIN disconnect switch from your local auto store flip it OFF and put it in TOW, should help a ton...and usually 32v is your cutoff on power, once below that your in trouble.
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:31 PM   #8
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
All batteries self discharge. Secondary (rechargeable) batteries self discharge faster than primary batteries and some chemistries self discharge faster than others.

In the lead-acid arena, wet-cell batteries self discharge faster than AGM and gel-cell batteries, but not much.

The warmer the batteries are, the faster the self discharge.

You've got a couple of things working against you.

Trojan Black-Box batteries are only 210AH to start with so your battery pack has nearly 7% less storage capacity then the standard 225AH 36V battery pack to start with.

The batteries are left in a partially discharged state for weeks at a time, so the plates are more sulfated than they would have gotten in 4 years if they had be kept fully charged when not in use.

-------------
With a PDS cart, the controller's electronics are powered up and drawing power from the battery pack unless the Run/Tow switch is in the Tow position.

Also, unless a battery cable is disconnected, the filter capacitors are kept charged, which also draws power from the battery pack.

Therefore, when cart is left in the parking area the Run/Tow switch ought to by in the Tow position and one of the battery cables disconnected.
Thanks Johnnie. I always put it in "tow" position. I thought that totally killed any draw.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #9
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Johnnie, I noticed on the Trojan website that they advertise batteries with "T-2" technology. I thought that I saw somewhere that these discharge less than the old tech batteries. So, I wonder if I upgraded to a new set or red Trojan's if this would help my situation?
Old 09-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #10
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird6246 View Post
...and usually 32v is your cutoff on power, once below that your in trouble.
Just curious, is 32v cut off applicable to both 36v and 48v carts? If so would a 48v cart improve my situation?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO