lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #11
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: 01 48 V CC DS - Hunting Buggy Build ?'s

If it were my cart, I would get some plates of steel and bolt the frame back the way it was. Then I'd install a 6" double a-arm lift. As someone mentioned, those u-bolts in the rear don't look right, the tops of those bolts are rounded, made to go around the axle tube, but those need to be squared, as they sit on top of the leaf springs. The best way to install a rear lift is well documented here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...stall-way.html

One other thing, I'm curious about your motor. It looks like it may have been upgraded. Can you get a close up pic of it?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator View Post
Oh boy. Sounds like I have some work ahead of me.

Can anyone provide me ideas and more detail on how to solve this problem?

Could I buy a 3 or 4 inch lift versus a 6? Or do I need to fabricate something to correct was has been done to this cart?
You're going to have to determine how big to make the plate. Yes you'll have to fabricate them yourself. I've attached a photo that shows an un-cut frame and gives a measurement to use as a reference. You could use a 3 inch lift in conjunction with your existing lift, but your front tires are going to stick out of the front of the cart pretty far. The lift on your cart now lengthens the wheelbase, as does the double A arm lift kit. It would look kind of funny and I'm not crazy about that aftermarket Z-bar lift. If it was the factory lift kit I'd be more willing to tell you to combine the lift kits, but with it being aftermarket I'm not fond of the idea. The factory kit uses 4 plates 1/4" thick, and actually sandwiches the frame on both sides. Your kit only bolts up to the outside of the frame beam and it's not as strong. I've also seen those kits break in the past. Make 4 steel plates and get factory geometry and buy a 6" lift. You'll be glad you did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (282.7 KB, 0 views)
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #13
Regulator
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the help everyone. Ugh. My brother is super handy and told me he will help me get this right. We have a shop with just about everything we need to do this type of a job. I had no idea all this was done to the cart.

Best photo I can get of the motor at this time. Also more photos of the rear end. Will try to get better photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1661.jpg (91.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1822.jpg (95.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1663.jpg (115.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1662.jpg (64.2 KB, 0 views)
Regulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #14
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Upon further inspection, it looks like you have a stock AMD motor. That's a better motor than the GE that would have come factory in that cart, the AMD has a much thicker wall.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:17 PM   #15
Regulator
Not Yet Wild

Fellows - I will try to post some better pics of the lift that is on the cart. I think I see what you explained and I think I know what needs to be done in order to install a 6 inch A Arm lift.

Question - when this type of lift (Z) is done do they typically cut out a portion of the frame? Or would it theoretically go back together. If they didn't remove a portion of the frame could I just take the brackets out, cut it so it is a straight and then bolt the frame back together? I dont have the cart at my house so I will need to look at it on Saturday. So forgive me if I am missing something. I am trying to figure this out based on the one poor quality photo I posted. It would pretty easy for me to cut that existing bracket if that will work.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. Turning out to be a heck of project for a newbie.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Fellows - I will try to post some better pics of the lift that is on the cart. I think I see what you explained and I think I know what needs to be done in order to install a 6 inch A Arm lift.

Question - when this type of lift (Z) is done do they typically cut out a portion of the frame? Or would it theoretically go back together. If they didn't remove a portion of the frame could I just take the brackets out, cut it so it is a straight and then bolt the frame back together? I dont have the cart at my house so I will need to look at it on Saturday. So forgive me if I am missing something. I am trying to figure this out based on the one poor quality photo I posted. It would pretty easy for me to cut that existing bracket if that will work.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. Turning out to be a heck of project for a newbie.
A portion of the frame is removed. In a perfect world, we'd know the size of the missing chunk. But without knowing what kind of lift kit that is, and whether or not whoever installed it cut it exactly the size it needed to be cut, it's better to be safe than sorry and make some plates that will net you the distance noted in my above photograph.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #17
Regulator
Not Yet Wild

Got it. I will start stripping this thing down and try to make some brackets over the weekend. Will post pics along the way. Sincerely appreciate your help.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #18
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Got it. I will start stripping this thing down and try to make some brackets over the weekend. Will post pics along the way. Sincerely appreciate your help.
That's why we're here. Note that you're going to need to replace that extended steering knuckle with a stock one. It's gonna be too long.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:22 PM   #19
Regulator
Not Yet Wild

Sorry but what is the steering knuckle. Need to know what to get and where.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #20
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Sorry but what is the steering knuckle. Need to know what to get and where.
It's the universal joint that comes off of the bottom of the steering column that attached to the top of the steering rack. When you cut the frame and install a lift kit such as yours, the factory knuckle has to be replaced by a longer one to make it reach. When you put the cart back to stock geometry you're going to have to use the stock knuckle. I may have a used one laying around. I'll look Monday when I get to the shop. Otherwise, you may have to order a new one. I'll send you a Private Message.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car